History in Structure

Methodist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.1926 / 54°11'33"N

Longitude: -2.9121 / 2°54'43"W

OS Eastings: 340586

OS Northings: 477807

OS Grid: SD405778

Mapcode National: GBR 8M3Y.BV

Mapcode Global: WH83D.7WK8

Plus Code: 9C6V53VQ+25

Entry Name: Methodist Church

Listing Date: 12 July 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1269670

English Heritage Legacy ID: 460519

ID on this website: 101269670

Location: Grange-over-Sands, Westmorland and Furness, Cumbria, LA11

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Grange-over-Sands

Built-Up Area: Grange-over-Sands

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Grange-over-Sands St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Tagged with: Protestant church building

Find accommodation in




(West side)
Methodist Church


Methodist church. 1874 by Ernest Bates, with later C19
additions. Snecked limestone rubble with sandstone ashlar
dressings and slate roofs.
STYLE: C13/14 Gothic.
PLAN: the orientation is reversed, with the pews facing
towards a sanctuary at the west end. Comprises a 4-bay nave,
an east porch under a lean-to roof (with doors to the north
and south), a chancel-like projection at the west end which
originally contained an organ chamber above a vestry, an added
vestry projecting northwards from the western bay of the nave,
and school rooms projecting towards the south. The latter were
also extended later in the C19.
EXTERIOR: the nave windows, which are separated by buttresses,
are each of 3 trefoiled lights and have plate tracery of a
trefoil and 2 quatrefoils. The east gable is coped with a
cross finial and the porch is lit by mullioned windows of
2-3-2 lights. A foundation stone below is inscribed: 'This
stone was laid by Mrs Alexander Brogden Sept 11th 1874. Ernest
Bates, Architect, Manchester.' The east window of the nave is
of 6 lights with Geometrical tracery. The east wall of the
school room has a window of 3 trefoiled lancet lights rising
into a gable, with 2-light windows to left and right. At the
left there is a porch with a hipped roof.
INTERIOR: the internal walls are plastered and the arch-braced
roof trusses have iron tie rods and have wall posts rising
from corbelled shafts with rough stone capitals: like the
external hood mould stops the intended carving was never
carried out. At the west end there is a pointed chamfered arch
divided horizontally by a blind arcade. Below, a wall contains
2 doorways to the former vestry. Above are the front pipes of
the organ, now no longer functional. The pulpit and sanctuary
railings are in oak in a Gothic style and are C20

Listing NGR: SD4058677807

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.