History in Structure

Bay Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.1939 / 54°11'38"N

Longitude: -2.9078 / 2°54'27"W

OS Eastings: 340870

OS Northings: 477954

OS Grid: SD408779

Mapcode National: GBR 8M4Y.8C

Mapcode Global: WH83D.9VL7

Plus Code: 9C6V53VR+HV

Entry Name: Bay Hall

Listing Date: 2 May 1975

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1269686

English Heritage Legacy ID: 460536

ID on this website: 101269686

Location: Grange-over-Sands, Westmorland and Furness, Cumbria, LA11

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Grange-over-Sands

Built-Up Area: Grange-over-Sands

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Grange-over-Sands St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Tagged with: House

Find accommodation in



705-1/4/29 (East side)
02/05/75 Bay Hall


House and flats. Dated 1849 and 1860. Probably by Websters of
Kendal. Roughcast with dressings of painted stone and
limestone ashlar. Slate roofs.
East facade of 2 storeys plus attic above a basement. The
entrance (west) facade is built against the hillside, with
entrances from the road at ground and 1st floor level.
2 gables face the road towards the west. The right-hand one
has a tall stair window with painted stone surround, round
arch, and keystone. It is glazed with margin panes and
roundels and has etched and coloured glass. At the left at
1st-floor level is a small window with painted surround. At
the right at ground-floor level is a door with plain reveals.
Below the projecting eaves verges there is a roundel inscribed
'RWE 1849'. At the apex a chimney has a limestone cap with 2
terracotta pots moulded as Greek Doric columns. Below the
left-hand gable there is a plaque dated '1860', and an 8-pane
sash window at 1st-floor level with limestone ashlar surround.
To the right, between the gables, there is a similar window,
with a C20 flat-roofed attic extension above. The left-hand
return wall contains an entrance at 1st-floor level. The east
gable of the 1849 wing has canted bay windows on the ground
and 1st floors, the ground-floor one with French windows and a
slated verandah, and the 1st-floor one with glazing bar
HISTORY: Black Rock Villa, adjoining the Commodore Hotel to
the south of Bay Hall, was built by George Webster the Kendal
architect in 1841. It is now very much altered and not
included in the list, but has a roundel inscribed 'GWE 1841'
which is very similar to the one at Bay Hall.

Listing NGR: SD4087077954

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.