This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1735 / 54°10'24"N
Longitude: -3.0677 / 3°4'3"W
OS Eastings: 330403
OS Northings: 475826
OS Grid: SD304758
Mapcode National: GBR 7N05.NP
Mapcode Global: WH72C.VCDC
Entry Name: Conishead Priory
Listing Date: 2 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1270176
English Heritage Legacy ID: 460003
Location: Ulverston, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA12
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Ulverston
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Bardsea Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD37NW PRIORY ROAD
626-1/2/102 (East side (off))
02/03/50 Conishead Priory
Country house, now Buddhist monastery, on site of Augustinian
Priory. 1821-36, extended 1853. To design by Philip Wyatt and
completed by George Webster. For Colonel Braddyll. Rendered
brick, limestone, and sandstone, with slate roofs.
Built on a vast scale in a hybrid Gothic style with an
irregular plan, with many pointed arches and traceried
windows, pierced battlemented parapets, steep gables, and
panelled octagonal chimneys.
The entrance front is very asymmetrical, but has a centre
3-storeyed gatehouse-type porch with gable and spired turrets,
an ogee-headed doorway with flanking niches, a large 4-light
traceried window on the 1st floor and a rose window above. To
the left are 2 (unequal) gabled wings, one with a large
pointed arched window, the other with a 2-storeyed bay window
and a pointed light on the 3rd storey. To the right of the
entrance (west) is a long single-storey wing with 4 large
2-light pointed arched windows, and clerestorey lights behind
A large wing at the west end projecting northwards ends in a
gatehouse tower dated 1853, in the same style, of 4 storeys,
and contains service quarters, stables, etc. The south front
is symmetrical, with 3 gables.
INTERIOR: a plaster-vaulted corridor runs from the east
entrance towards the west. On the north side a screen of 3
arches opens into a stair hall with an imperial staircase with
alternate turned and barleysugar balusters, lit by a stained
glass window by Wailes. Also opening off the north side of the
corridor is the double-height entrance hall (under repair at
time of survey in November 1991), entered from the north
doorway. It is said to have a west window by Willement, and,
on the 1st floor, a wooden screen with Perpendicular tracery,
taken from the chapel at Samlesbury Hall. The corridor
continues towards the west, where it has cloister windows on
the north side with Perpendicular tracery.
To the south of the corridor the dining room is lined with
panelling and has a Gothic fireplace in brown marble with a
carved oak overmantel. A room at the north-east end of the
corridor also has an elaborate marble Gothic fireplace and has
an oak overmantel. On the 1st floor the Oak Room is lined with
woodwork taken from Samlesbury Hall (near Preston) in 1834,
including a chimneypiece dated 1623.
A previous house on this site was demolished in 1821.
Listing NGR: SD3040375826
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings