History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Urswick, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.162 / 54°9'43"N

Longitude: -3.0718 / 3°4'18"W

OS Eastings: 330112

OS Northings: 474548

OS Grid: SD301745

Mapcode National: GBR 6NZ9.RT

Mapcode Global: WH72C.SNF7

Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 5 March 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1086800

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75882

Location: Urswick, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA12

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Urswick

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Bardsea Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Bardsea

Listing Text

SD 37 SW URSWICK BARDSEA

19/108 Church of Holy Trinity

II

Church. 1843-53. By G. Webster. Dressed stone with rock-faced stone base,
ashlar dressings and slate roof. Nave with north vestry, east apse and west
tower and spire. 5-bay nave has weathered buttresses and corbel table.
2-light traceried windows and sill course. Gabled south porch has clasping
buttresses and pointed entrance with niche over. North vestry is similar,
with chimney in form of open pinnacle to gable end. Canted abse has
battered base, nook shafts and Lombard frieze. 3 traceried lights. Tower
has angle buttresses and 2-light west window. Lower part of spire is
splayed with 2-light windows; upper part of spire slopes at shallower angle,
with lucarnes. Interior has chancel arch with responds. Apse has nook
shafts and ribbed ceiling. Good C20 stained glass to apse windows by
Wilhelmina Geddes (1955); C19 glass to other windows, some by Shriggley and
Hunt. Octagonal stone font; original pews, some with poppy head. Pulpit has
arcading to sides; arcaded chancel rail. The church is a prominent landmark
on the coast of Morecambe bay.


Listing NGR: SD3011274548

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.