This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7696 / 55°46'10"N
Longitude: -1.9994 / 1°59'57"W
OS Eastings: 400133
OS Northings: 652922
OS Grid: NU001529
Mapcode National: GBR G1GQ.XL
Mapcode Global: WH9YK.874R
Entry Name: Our Lady and St Cuthbert's Roman Catholic Church, to Rear of Number 64
Listing Date: 9 February 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1270332
English Heritage Legacy ID: 459559
Location: Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland, TD15
Civil Parish: Berwick-upon-Tweed
Built-Up Area: Berwick-upon-Tweed
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Berwick Holy Trinity and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 00 52 BERWICK UPON TWEED RAVENSDOWNE
622- /11/10007 Our Lady & St
Cuthbert's RC Church,
to rear of No.64
Roman Catholic church. 1829, altered and extended c1880. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings and slate roof with ornate terracotta ridge tiles, 2 square louvred ventilators and an iron cross finial. Simple rectangular plan with canted east end and small porch to south. Gothick style original building with Gothic Revival style additions.
Blind west and north walls build against adjoining buildings. Canted east end has three 3-light, pointed arch, Geometrical tracery windows with continuous cill band. South wall has a single pointed arched glazing bar sash with Gothick glazing, then 3 similar pointed arch windows with wooden y- tracery , beyond a small cross mullion window above the porch, then a 3-light pointed arch Geometrical tracery window and to the east a narrow lancet. The projecting porch has a south-west doorway and to south a short 3-light pointed arch Geometrical tracery window.
INTERIOR has moulded and pointed chancel arch with triple shaft responds and traceried wooden panels in the spandrels. Gilded and painted wooden rood suspended from the chancel arch. Boarded wooden roofs with diamond pattern panelling to nave and built-in former alterpiece painting (associated with the exile of King Charles X of France form 1830) to chancel. Wooden Gothick tracery arches applied to north and east walls (re-sited original screen or arcade.) Wooden west gallery with Gothic panel front. Wooden pew and Minton tile floor. Raised chancel has marble altar and lecturn plus ornate dado panelling.
This is an important example of the plain and simple type of church built by Catholics immediately after the Catholic Emmancipation Act of 1829. It was later extended and redecorated in the Gothic Revival Style.
Listing NGR: NU0013352922
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings