This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3452 / 53°20'42"N
Longitude: -1.3365 / 1°20'11"W
OS Eastings: 444272
OS Northings: 383353
OS Grid: SK442833
Mapcode National: GBR MY3R.GK
Mapcode Global: WHDDY.F5TT
Plus Code: 9C5W8MW7+3C
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1270442
English Heritage Legacy ID: 458679
Location: Sheffield, S20
Electoral Ward/Division: Beighton
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Beighton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK48SW HIGH STREET, Beighton
784-1/11/801 (West side (off))
28/06/73 Church of St Mary the Virgin
Parish church. C12, C14 and C15. Restored 1773. Chancel, south
aisle and nave rebuilt during restoration of 1867-68. Coursed
squared stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Chamfered
plinth, coped gables with crosses.
PLAN: chancel, nave with aisles, south porch, west tower.
EXTERIOR: chancel has string course and diagonally buttressed
east gable with a C19 Decorated 3-light pointed arch window
with hoodmould. South side has a central buttress flanked by
2-light windows with ogee heads and flat-headed surrounds with
Nave has a low clerestory with moulded eaves and 3 quatrefoils
on each side. Buttressed 3 bay south aisle has 2 restored
Decorated 2-light windows with flat-headed surrounds, and in
either end, a similar window with label mould. Buttressed 3
bay north aisle includes vestry at east end with a square
corner stack. 2 cusped ogee 2-light windows, possibly C18, and
to west, a chamfered door with hoodmould. West end has an
early C15 2-light window with label mould. East end has a C19
shouldered doorway and a single lancet.
C19 south porch has coped gable and flanking buttresses,
moulded doorway and hoodmould. In each side, an ogee double
lancet. Scissor braced roof and wrought-iron screen.
2 stage west tower has diagonal buttresses, 4 setoffs, string
courses, gargoyles and crenellated parapet with 8 crocketed
pinnacles. First stage has to west a Perpendicular transomed
3-light pointed arch window with hoodmould. To south, a
blocked shouldered doorway. Second stage has on each side a
cusped 2-light pointed arch bell opening with hoodmould. Under
them, a clock face to north, south and west. Under the south
opening, a small single lancet.
INTERIOR: chancel has a large Norman style arch, 1867, with
zigzag bands and triple shafts. To left, a chamfered doorway
to former rood loft. To right, a large squint. Scissor braced
roof. North side has double chamfered organ arch and to east,
a shouldered aumbry. South-east side has a restored early C14
piscina. Nave has C14 2 bay arcades with octagonal piers and
double chamfered moulded arches, and scissor braced roof.
Double chamfered early C14 tower arch with mask capitals and
nailhead band and C19 Perpendicular wooden screen. Aisles have
C19 roofs. North aisle has C19 Perpendicular wooden screen.
South aisle has, to east, a chamfered ogee piscina.
Fittings include stained glass windows, 1872 and 1888 and
c1870, and C15 fragments in the aisle windows. C19 benches,
wooden pulpit and stone font with marble shafts. Early C19
benefactions board. C19 Italian alabaster reredos. Rood by
Memorials include incised slab, 1480, to John Tynker, and
brasses 1667 and 1753.
(Historical notes on the Church of St Mary: Rosemary Richards:
Beighton Vicarage: 1989-).
Listing NGR: SK4427283353
Other nearby listed buildings