This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9531 / 52°57'11"N
Longitude: -1.1525 / 1°9'8"W
OS Eastings: 457036
OS Northings: 339858
OS Grid: SK570398
Mapcode National: GBR LNP.LJ
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.81FF
Plus Code: 9C4WXR3X+62
Entry Name: 14, 14a and 16, St James' Street
Listing Date: 1 June 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1270498
English Heritage Legacy ID: 458552
Location: Nottingham, NG1
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Bridge
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5739NW ST JAMES' STREET
646-1/20/574 (North West side)
01/06/95 Nos.14, 14A AND 16
Formerly known as: Old Malt Cross Music Hall ST JAMES' STREET.
Music hall, now cafe, and adjoining shops. Dated 1877. By
Edwin Hill of Nottingham for Charles Weldon. Restored 1982-84,
and converted to cafe 1987. Brick, roughcast, with stucco
dressings. Glazed barrel vault to the music hall, slate roofs
to the remainder.
EXTERIOR: moulded string course and eaves. 2 storeys plus
attics, with galleried basement and rock-cut cellar.
The shops face the street, with the music hall entrance to the
left, and the music hall itself at right angles.
Front range, 2 storeys plus attics; 4 window range of square
wooden oriels, with tripartite sashes and cornices. Above
them, 4 round-arched through-eaves dormers with finials and
plain sashes. Wooden shopfront, full width, with moulded
cornice and cast-iron columns with foliage capitals. Ground
floor has wooden shopfronts with central double door and
round-arched windows, 2 and 3 lights, with wooden mullions and
transoms. To left, a wide opening containing a bow fronted
doorcase c1935 with crest.
INTERIOR: music hall retains major original features.
Laminated wood barrel vault, glazed, with tie rods and plaster
centre panels. Central light well through all floors, now
boarded over at ground floor level. Gallery on 3 sides with
cast-iron balustrade, on cast-iron columns with elaborate
foliage capitals. Cantilever dogleg stair with cast-iron
balustrade. Replica panelling, bar, stage, canopy and rostrum.
This building is a largely intact example of a galleried music
hall, and has an early example of a laminated timber roof. The
first is thought to have been at King's Cross Station,
1851-52, by Lewis Cubitt. St Matthias' Church, Nottingham (qv)
1868, by TC Hine, also has one.
(Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire:
Featherstone HL: Nottingham: 1962-: 96-106; Curl JS: Victorian
Architecture: 1990-: 210).
Listing NGR: SK5703639857
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings