This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3803 / 53°22'48"N
Longitude: -1.4831 / 1°28'59"W
OS Eastings: 434479
OS Northings: 387170
OS Grid: SK344871
Mapcode National: GBR 9DL.J2
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.690G
Plus Code: 9C5W9GJ8+4P
Entry Name: Somme Barracks and Drill Hall
Listing Date: 12 December 1995
Last Amended: 30 July 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1270542
English Heritage Legacy ID: 458434
Location: Sheffield, S10
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sheffield Broomhill St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK 3487 SW SHEFFIELD GLOSSOP ROAD
Somme Barracks and Drill Hall
Territorial army barracks and drill hall. Dated 1907, altered late C20. Red brick with ashlar dressings and hipped and gabled concrete tile roofs. 2 brick ridge stacks with lozenge-shaped double flues. Tudor Revival style. PLAN: L-shaped barracks with angled corner incorporating entrance, and with attached drill hall to end of left return. EXTERIOR: plinth, impost and sillbands, eaves string course, coped parapet and gables. 2 storeys plus basement and attics; 6 x 9 windows. L-plan with angled corner. Windows are mainly stone cross mullioned with C20 casements, those to the ground floor with segmental heads and linked hoodmoulds. Corner entrance bay has slightly projecting tower porch topped with octagonal corner turrets and ogee domes with ball finials. On the first floor, a 5-light window under a segmental pediment with frieze inscribed "1st. WYRE (Vols)". On either side, a 2-light window. Above, the Royal arms, flanked by single light windows, under a common label mould. Round-arched carriage entrance with voussoirs and keystone. Hood mould carried on banded Doric columns topped with obelisks. Double board doors topped with metal grating. On either side, a small 2-light mullioned window. Left return to West Street, has a gabled central bay with two 3-light windows under segmental pediments, and above, a shallow 4-light window. On either side, a 2-light and a 3-light window. Below, two 3-light windows with between them, a moulded square war memorial panel, 1918. On either side, a 4-light and a 3-light window. Basement has 12 small openings. Attached drill hall shallow hipped roof behind plain parapet. Below, end wall divided into 4 bays by shallow pilasters. Each bay with single upper window with plain stone head and cill, and 3 ground floor windows, similarly detailed. Right return, to Gell Street, has central gable with pedimented 4-light window and above, a shallow 4-light window. On either side, on each floor, a 3-light and a 4-light window. To left, an external side wall quadruple stack, flanked to left by a 3-light window on each floor. To right, a gable with two 3-light windows on each floor, and a smaller window in the gable. Basement has, to left, 6 small openings. INTERIOR not inspected.
Listing NGR: SK3447987170
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings