History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Innocents and St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Manchester, Manchester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.443 / 53°26'34"N

Longitude: -2.2196 / 2°13'10"W

OS Eastings: 385509

OS Northings: 394043

OS Grid: SJ855940

Mapcode National: GBR DQX.1S

Mapcode Global: WHB9N.WQ6F

Plus Code: 9C5VCQVJ+55

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Innocents and St James

Listing Date: 3 October 1974

Last Amended: 6 June 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1270568

English Heritage Legacy ID: 458252

Location: Manchester, M14

County: Manchester

Electoral Ward/Division: Fallowfield

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Birch with Fallowfield

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Heaton Chapel

Listing Text


MANCHESTER

SJ89SE WILBRAHAM ROAD, Fallowfield
698-1/9/689 (North side)
03/10/74 Church of the Holy Innocents and St
James
(Formerly Listed as:
WILBRAHAM ROAD, Fallowfield
(North side)
Church of Holy Innocents)

GV II

Church. 1870-2, by Price and Linklater. Coursed yellow
sandstone rubble with red sandstone dressings, steeply-pitched
slate roof with diaper pattern of green slates. Gothic style
of c.1200, all openings 2-centred arched with cusped heads.
Nave with north and south aisles, south-west porch, south-east
steeple, apsidal-ended chancel with south chapel and north
vestry. The free-standing square 4-stage tower, with angle
buttresses, corner pinnacles and octagonal spire with
lucarnes, has a south doorway with set-in shafts and moulded
head with ball-flower ornament, a 2-light window to the 2nd
stage, circular clockfaces to the 3rd stage, and coupled
2-light belfry windows and corbel-tables to the top stage. The
5-bay aisles have buttresses and 2-light windows with
quatrefoils in the heads, and the gabled porch to the south
aisle has a doorway with double-chamfered surround and set-in
shafts; the nave has a clerestory of 2 single-light windows to
each bay, and a tripartite west window set in a blank arch,
with a transomed 3-stage 2-light centre and 2-stage side
lights. The 3-bay chancel with buttressed apse has 2-light
windows with multifoils in the heads, under linked crocketed
gablets. Parallel 2-bay south chapel in similar style.
Interior not inspected.
Forms group with former school to east (now the Queen of
Hearts Public House, q.v.).


Listing NGR: SJ8550994043

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.