History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Railings and Gate to Number 14 Churchill House

A Grade II Listed Building in Nottingham, City of Nottingham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9542 / 52°57'14"N

Longitude: -1.1433 / 1°8'35"W

OS Eastings: 457655

OS Northings: 339985

OS Grid: SK576399

Mapcode National: GBR LQP.M4

Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.D0TL

Entry Name: Railings and Gate to Number 14 Churchill House

Listing Date: 12 July 1972

Last Amended: 30 November 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1270804

English Heritage Legacy ID: 457234

Location: Nottingham, NG1

County: City of Nottingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Bridge

Built-Up Area: Nottingham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Nottingham

Listing Text


NOTTINGHAM

SK5739NE HEATHCOAT STREET
646-1/21/253 (East side)
12/07/72 Railings and gate to No.14
Churchill House


GV II

Railings and gate, c1750.

MATERIALS: Wrought and cast iron.

DESCRIPTION: In the centre is a segment-arched double gate with openwork piers and an overthrow. The piers are surmounted by masks, scrolls and urn-shaped finials (left finial missing). Flanking the gate are spearhead railings with urn-shaped finials, some missing. The railings are set on a brick retaining wall with chamfered ashlar coping, rebuilt in the street widening of 1874.

HISTORY: Heathcoat Street was created by widening Beck Lane in 1874. No. 16 dates from 1750 and was originally known as Morley House. Charles and Mrs A Morley made their fortune manufacturing Nottingham's brown salt-glazed earthenware. In 1854 the house was acquired by George Gill for the People's Hall, a temperance centre related to his People's College. No. 14, known as Churchill House, dates from the late C18 and is thought to have been the service range to Morley House. The railings and gate in front of Churchill House date from c1750 and originally stood in front of Morley House. They were moved to the side when the street was widened in 1874.

SOURCES:
Nikolaus Pevsner and Elizabeth Williamson, Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire (1979), 232.
Elain Harwood, Pevsner Architectural Guides: Nottingham (2008), 112.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION:
The railings and gate to Churchill House are designated at grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* They are a good example of mid C18 wrought and cast iron street furniture
* They have group value with Churchill House and the adjacent People's Hall, originally Morley House.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.