This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9795 / 52°58'46"N
Longitude: -1.1779 / 1°10'40"W
OS Eastings: 455297
OS Northings: 342774
OS Grid: SK552427
Mapcode National: GBR LHD.12
Mapcode Global: WHDGR.WC9Q
Plus Code: 9C4WXRHC+QV
Entry Name: Church of St Leodegarius and Attached Grave Enclosure
Listing Date: 29 April 1964
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271037
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455827
Location: Nottingham, NG6
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Basford
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: St Leodegarius and St Aidan Basford
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK54SE CHURCH STREET, Basford
646-1/4/771 (South East side)
29/04/64 Church of St Leodegarius and
attached grave enclosure
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH STREET, Basford
Church of St Leodegarius)
Parish church and attached grave enclosure. Chancel c1180,
restored 1900, south arcade c1250, south aisle and south porch
c1340, clerestory late C14. Restored, clerestory, north aisle
and north arcade rebuilt 1858-59 by Arthur Wilson. Tower
rebuilt 1859-61 following collapse, by Thomas Allom. Early
English and Decorated styles. Rock-faced stone and ashlar,
with ashlar dressings and steep pitched slate roofs with
moulded coped parapets and gables.
PLAN: chancel, chapel, vestry, nave aisles, porches, west
EXTERIOR: plinth, sill band and buttresses. Chancel has 3
lancets to east, with an oval window above. 2 lancets to north
and 4 to south. North chapel has a single lancet. Flat roofed
vestry, to south, has a flat-headed window, 3-lights, to
south, and door to east.
Nave clerestory has 5 small cusped windows each side. South
aisle, 4 bays, has to south 3 flat-headed windows, 2 and
3-lights, with label moulds. At each end, a pointed arched
2-light window with hood mould, the west window renewed. South
porch has a chamfered pointed arched doorway with hood mould
and 2-light windows on each side. Inside, roll moulded inner
doorway and renewed roof on reset corbels. Several reset
memorial tablets, late C18 and early C19. Attached to the east
side, an ashlar table tomb with wrought-iron spearhead
railing, c1800. North aisle has 5 single lancets, with a
pointed arched door west of the east window. East end has a
single lancet, west end 2 lancets. North porch has moulded
pointed arched doorway with double shafts, and a single lancet
each side. Inside, common rafter roof and moulded round-arched
doorway with panelled door, C18.
Square west tower, 3 stages, has angle buttresses to the lower
stages string courses, corbel table and pierced balustrade
with octagonal pinnacles. Pointed arched 2-light window to
left, a small door to the stairway. Middle stage has a single
lancet on 3 sides. Bell stage has on each side 2 pointed
arched openings, 2-lights, with shafts.
INTERIOR: rendered. Chancel has double chamfered arch with
triple shaft responds and traceried wooden screen, early C20.
Panelled dado and wagon roof. East end has 3 stained glass
windows, 1901, and oval window above. South side has cusped
piscina, plain windows. In the adjoining vestry, a
roll-moulded priest's door, c1200, with double shafts and hood
mould. To west, a blocked 2-light window. North side has a
pointed arched organ opening and plain windows.
Nave, rendered, with panelled wagon roof with ribs and
corbels. Arcades, 5 bays, with filleted quatrefoil columns
c1180 and capitals c1250. Double chamfered arches with hood
moulds and responds. West end has a similar double chamfered
tower arch with clustered shafts and responds. Above it, a
loop. Tower chamber has cross beam ceiling and moulded framed
panelling. Stained glass west window, 1902.
Aisles have arch braced lean-to roofs and panelled
wainscotting, C19. South aisle has cusped piscina to east and
stained glass south west window by Kempe, 1910. Other windows
have stained glass late C19 and early C20. North aisle
round-arched north door and mid C19 stained glass window. East
end has double chamfered arch with traceried wooden screen,
opening into organ chamber.
Memorials include brass and marble and slate tablet, 1776, and
ashlar and slate tablet with angel and illegible inscription,
Fittings include octagonal ashlar pulpit, 1859, octagonal
font, C19, with traceried ogee cover, and brass eagle lectern,
1905. C19 chairs and traceried panelled stalls.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 266; Train K: St Leodegarius Church (guide):
Listing NGR: SK5529742774
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings