This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7064 / 52°42'22"N
Longitude: -2.7545 / 2°45'16"W
OS Eastings: 349120
OS Northings: 312343
OS Grid: SJ491123
Mapcode National: GBR BJ.2GLL
Mapcode Global: WH8BT.N7KK
Plus Code: 9C4VP64W+G6
Entry Name: Clive House and Adjacent Dwelling
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271068
English Heritage Legacy ID: 456176
Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY1
Civil Parish: Shrewsbury
Built-Up Area: Shrewsbury
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Shrewsbury St Chad
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ4912SW COLLEGE HILL
653-1/15/234 (South side (off))
10/01/53 Clive House and adjacent dwelling
Formerly known as: No.3 Clive House COLLEGE HILL.
House, now museum. C16 with facade of 1752. Timber-framed,
encased and extended in brick, with plain tiled roofs.
Main elevation faces south, 2 storeys, 6-window range. 12-pane
flush-framed sashes with cambered heads. Central doorway with
pedimented architrave, with rusticated pilasters and
modillions in the pediment. Dentilled eaves cornice, coped
gables. 6 gabled dormers within the roof. Axial and gable end
stacks. Parallel gables in side elevation, with 6-panelled
door with traceried fanlight in architrave with rusticated
pilasters and flat entablature. Rear wing forms separate
dwelling. 2 storeys, 3-window range, with 3- and 12-pane
sashes. 6-panelled door to left, and inserted lower windows,
the original flat-arched head still visible over central
INTERIOR: range facing garden largely of 1752, with panelling,
plaster cornices and fireplaces of that date, and staircase
with 2 turned balusters to each moulded tread. Rear range
incorporates substantial remains of earlier building,
including timber-framed partition wall with panelling exposed
in end wall of present drawing room, said to be part of a C15
hall. Timber-framing also exposed upstairs.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the earlier building was part of the College
of St Chad, and in the C18 the house was the property of the
Clive family, and the home of Robert, Lord Clive, in 1762.
Listing NGR: SJ4912012343
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings