This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6902 / 52°41'24"N
Longitude: -2.7616 / 2°45'41"W
OS Eastings: 348620
OS Northings: 310555
OS Grid: SJ486105
Mapcode National: GBR BJ.3LS5
Mapcode Global: WH8BT.KM5Y
Plus Code: 9C4VM6RQ+39
Entry Name: Meole Brace Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 30 May 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271121
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455976
Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY3
Civil Parish: Shrewsbury
Built-Up Area: Shrewsbury
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Meole Brace Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ41SE CHURCH ROAD, Meole Brace
653-1/4/757 Church of Holy Trinity
Parish church. 1867-8. E Haycock Junior. Rusticated red
sandstone with paler stone dressings and some ashlar bands,
plain tiled roof with ridge cresting.
PLAN: west tower clasped by nave and lean-to aisles, chancel.
EXTERIOR: west tower of 4 stages with angle buttresses. Paired
shouldered square-headed lights in second stage, with clock
above, and paired lights to bell-chamber in hollow chamfered
banded arch. Quatrefoil frieze and corbel table. Embattled
parapet and short spire with weather vane.
South aisle of 4 bays divided by buttresses, with coped gabled
porch with short angle buttresses and foiled archway. Trefoil
frieze above. 3-light Decorated windows. Gabled chapel
projects, with 2 foiled lancet windows and a rose window over.
Chancel with apsidal east end with 3-light Decorated windows
in each face. It is distinguished by moulded eaves cornice,
and separated from nave by a coped gable, although roof line
continues at same level throughout. Lean-to north aisle of 4
bays with Decorated windows. Gabled vestry projects from
INTERIOR: nave arcade of 5 bays, cylindrical shafts with
alternately foliate and ring moulded capitals, and red and
white banded voussoirs. Cross braced roof trusses carried on
corbels. Chancel arch with paired banded shafts with rich
foliate capitals. In the chancel, arches lead off each side to
side chapels. Ornate roof truss with cross-bracing and curved
struts each side of King post. Marble low relief reredos, and
quatrefoil wood frieze at wall plate. Oak pews and pulpit
possibly original. Octagonal font with alternate panels of
marble inlay and raised foliate decoration. War memorial under
the west window with high relief figures of a soldier and an
angel kneeling each side of a name plate beneath a canopy.
STAINED GLASS: noted for its complete series of stained-glass
windows by Morris and Company. In the chancel, the windows are
dated 1870, and are in a medieval narrative style, depicting
scenes from the Old and New Testaments each side of the
Crucifixion with angels, saints and prophets. South side
chapel windows dated 1894 by Kempe, with full-height figures
depicting the Annunciation. South aisle windows dated 1899,
Morris and Co., with full-height figures of prophets, saints
and virtues on a pale ground. North aisle windows continue
this series and are dated 1903 and 1916. One north window is
earlier, dated 1887. It depicts Martha and Mary and is in a
different style, with the two figures against a dark ground of
drapes and vine leaves.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire:
Listing NGR: SJ4862010555
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings