History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Newdigate House and Attached Railings and Boundary Wall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Nottingham, City of Nottingham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9508 / 52°57'2"N

Longitude: -1.1522 / 1°9'7"W

OS Eastings: 457059

OS Northings: 339600

OS Grid: SK570396

Mapcode National: GBR LNQ.NC

Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.83L6

Plus Code: 9C4WXR2X+84

Entry Name: Newdigate House and Attached Railings and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 11 August 1952

Last Amended: 30 November 1995

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271185

English Heritage Legacy ID: 455769

Location: Nottingham, NG1

County: City of Nottingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Radford and Park

Built-Up Area: Nottingham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Nottingham

Listing Text


NOTTINGHAM

SK5739NW CASTLE GATE
646-1/20/109 (North side)
11/08/52 No.64
Newdigate House and attached
railings and boundary wall
(Formerly Listed as:
CASTLE GATE
No.64
Newdigate House)

GV II*

House, now club, and attached railings and boundary wall.
c1675. For Thomas Newdigate. Stucco with ashlar dressings and
hipped slate roof.
EXTERIOR: plinth, chamfered quoins, modillion eaves cornice. 3
storeys plus attics; 5 window range of 12-pane sashes with
moulded surrounds and alternating triangular and segmental
pediments. Above, 5 similar sashes with lugged architraves and
fleurons. Above again, 3 dormers with alternating pediments
and 9-pane casements. Central moulded ashlar doorcase with
volutes and broken segmental pediment and fielded 6-panel
door. On either side, two 12-pane sashes with alternating
pediments.
INTERIOR has an entrance hall with full height moulded wooden
panels and cornice, and 8-panel door with bolection moulded
surround. Ground floor dining room has Adam-style plasterwork
and 2 round skylights. Restored wooden dogleg staircase with
stick balusters. 2 fully panelled first floor rooms with
moulded cornices and 8-panel doors
Outside, attached crested wrought-iron railing, central
gateway and overthrow, probably by Francis Foulgham. Rendered
plinth with ashlar coping. To left, attached boundary wall,
brick with slab coping, containing a wooden doorcase with
entablature and 6-panel door. Approx 10m long.
Marshal Tallard was held prisoner here after the battle of
Blenheim.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 235-236).


Listing NGR: SK5705939600

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.