This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9494 / 52°56'57"N
Longitude: -1.1544 / 1°9'15"W
OS Eastings: 456914
OS Northings: 339447
OS Grid: SK569394
Mapcode National: GBR LNQ.5V
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.74K7
Entry Name: Castle Museum and Art Gallery
Listing Date: 11 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271188
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455781
Location: Nottingham, NG1
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Radford and Park
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5639SE CASTLE ROAD
646-1/22/136 (West side (off))
11/08/52 Castle Museum and Art Gallery
Ducal palace, now museum and art gallery. 1674-79. By Samuel
Marsh of Lincoln for William Cavendish, first Duke of
Newcastle. Interior refitted 1719, by Sir John Vanbrugh. Burnt
down 1831 during Reform Bill riots. Extensively remodelled as
museum and art gallery 1876-78 by TC Hine of Nottingham for
Nottingham Corporation. Restored 1908 and later C20.
Provincial Baroque style. Ashlar, with hipped roofs, glazed
EXTERIOR: basement windows are mostly 2-light plain sashes
with stone mullions. First floor windows are stone mullioned
cross casements. Second floor dummy windows are mainly C19,
square, with round-arched stone tracery.
The original east elevation has basement, piano nobile and
attics, remodelled internally as 2 storeys. U-plan, 9 x 3
bays, with rear wings flanking a central courtyard. The main
entrance was transposed from east to west by Hine.
East front, fully rusticated, has modillion main cornice and
C19 pierced balustrade. Slightly projecting centre, 5 bays,
divided by Corinthian half-columns, the side bays divided by
pilasters. Basement has reglazed windows and a central door,
C19, all with double keystones. Central window, with columns
and cornice, flanked by 4 pedimented windows, all with
balustrades. Over the centre, an equestrian statue. Attic has
original 2-light windows with strapwork surrounds.
Entrance front, to west, has a curved Tuscan colonnade, C19,
covering a triple niche, with doors at each end. Above, former
doorcase with columns and segmental pediment, flanked by
single windows. Returns have recessed bays above the
colonnade, and 2 windows on each floor. Outer facades, to
west, have 3 windows.
South front has a rusticated basement with round-arched
rusticated porch and balcony, flanked by 3 round-arched French
windows. Above, 3 corniced windows with rusticated surrounds.
Attic has C19 windows.
North front, 4 windows, has regular C19 fenestration.
Sub-basement service range, 9 windows, with balustrade and
arcaded sunken courtyard.
INTERIOR has ashlar doorcases with segmental broken pediments.
2 painted ashlar open well stairs and landings with cast-iron
balustrades, coved ceiling and cross beamed skylight to stair
wells. Ground floor gallery to south has moulded cross beams
on shaped corbels. Ground floor rooms on the east side have
jack-arched fireproof ceilings. First floor galleries have
coved ceilings with moulded cornices and cross beamed
skylights. Long gallery is divided by a round-arched ashlar
screen with pierced pedestals.
This building was the first municipal museum and art gallery
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 225-228; Get to know Nottingham: Hamilton A:
Nottingham's Royal Castle: Nottingham: 1980-; Transactions of
the Thoroton Society: Drage C: Nottingham Castle: Nottingham:
Listing NGR: SK5691439447
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings