This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3513 / 53°21'4"N
Longitude: -1.4888 / 1°29'19"W
OS Eastings: 434123
OS Northings: 383947
OS Grid: SK341839
Mapcode National: GBR 9CX.9F
Mapcode Global: WHDDW.3194
Plus Code: 9C5W9G26+GF
Entry Name: Church of St Oswald
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Last Amended: 12 December 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271298
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455362
Location: Nether Edge and Sharrow, Sheffield, S7
Electoral Ward/Division: Nether Edge and Sharrow
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: St Peter and St Oswald Sheffield
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK38SW BANNERDALE ROAD
784-1/9/57 (North East side)
28/06/73 Church of St Oswald
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Oswald, Millhouses)
Parish church. Dated 1909-1914. Ashlar with ashlar dressings
and slate roofs. Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: chancel with south-east chapel and north-east vestry,
all with basement; double gabled transepts, nave with
clerestory and aisles; incomplete base of south-west tower,
EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth, buttresses, coped gables. Windows
mainly have hoodmoulds.
Chancel east gable has string course and a 5-light pointed
arched window with extended hoodmould. Below, basement windows
arranged 1:3:1. On either side, a double lancet with
hoodmould. South-east chapel has a polygonal apse with a
single lancet. South side has 2 graduated triple lancets.
Vestry has 2 plain triple lancets to east, and below, 2 paired
basement windows. North side has 2 chamfered doorways and a
3-light mullioned window. West gable has a double lancet.
Double gabled transepts have 2 graduated triple lancets. South
transept has lean-to east porch with chamfered doorway and
single lancet. Nave clerestory has 10 plain double lancets on
each side. West gable has plain lancets arranged 1:2:1, with 3
smaller lancets to narthex below. Aisles have 5 single
lancets. Tower base has felted pyramidal roof and moulded west
doorway with glazed screen. Double lancet to south. South
porch, between tower and aisle, has a graduated triple lancet.
Hipped north porch has a door to east and a single lancet to
INTERIOR: chancel has moulded and chamfered arch with
hoodmould and clustered shaft responds with Perpendicular
style wooden war memorial screen, c1920. Sillband and arch
braced wagon roof. On either side, a western arch, that to
north with organ, flanked to east by a doorway. East end has a
memorial window, 1915. South-east chapel has a traceried
wooden screen, 1912, and a similar screen in the north-west
arch. Eastern and south-eastern stained glass windows c1910.
Transepts have gabled roofs and on their east sides, segmental
arches into south-east chapel and organ chamber. Nave has 5
bay arcades with round piers with nailhead capitals, and
double chamfered arches with hoodmoulds. Clerestory sillband.
Arch braced wagon roof with wall shafts. Narthex has arch with
chamfered piers. Aisles have lean-to roofs, west doors with
hoodmoulds, and at the east ends, double segmental pointed
arches with lozenge shaped piers.
Fittings include Perpendicular style wooden reredos, screen
and rood, c1920, brass and iron reading desk and octagonal
marble font, all early C20.
Listing NGR: SK3412383947
Other nearby listed buildings