History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Counting House and Workmens' Cottages at Abbeydale Works Museum

A Grade II* Listed Building in Beauchief and Greenhill, Sheffield

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3339 / 53°20'2"N

Longitude: -1.5123 / 1°30'44"W

OS Eastings: 432574

OS Northings: 381999

OS Grid: SK325819

Mapcode National: GBR KYWW.DL

Mapcode Global: WHCCQ.RG1H

Entry Name: Former Counting House and Workmens' Cottages at Abbeydale Works Museum

Listing Date: 1 May 1952

Last Amended: 12 December 1995

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271385

English Heritage Legacy ID: 455108

Location: Sheffield, S7

County: Sheffield

Electoral Ward/Division: Beauchief and Greenhill

Built-Up Area: Sheffield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Abbeydale and Millhouses

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Dore

Listing Text


SHEFFIELD

SK38SW ABBEYDALE ROAD SOUTH
784-1/9/7 (East side)
01/05/52 Former counting house and workmens'
cottages at Abbeydale Works Museum
(Formerly Listed as:
ABBEYDALE ROAD SOUTH
(East side)
Counting house and 3 cottages at
Abbeydale Works)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Cottage row (3 cottages) adjoining Water
Mill ABBEYDALE ROAD SOUTH.
Counting house and workmens' cottages, now education centre,
cafe and house. 1786-93, restored 1970. Coursed squared stone
with stone slate roofs and 2 gable and single ridge brick
stacks. Quoins. 2 storeys; 5 window range of glazing bar
casements. Counting house, to left, has a loft door flanked by
single 2-light casements and below, a beaded plank door
flanked to left by two 2-light casements. Openings have stone
lintels and sills. Cottages, to right, have three 3-light
casements and below, a central board door flanked by single
3-light casements. To left, a similar door and to right, a
4-light casement. Ground floor openings have stone flat arches
and windows have plank shutters. The counting house was later
used as a crown scythe warehouse.
(Sheffield City Museums Publications: Peatman J: Abbeydale
Industrial Hamlet: Sheffield: 1985-: 23).


Listing NGR: SK3257481999

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.