This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3296 / 53°19'46"N
Longitude: -1.5075 / 1°30'27"W
OS Eastings: 432896
OS Northings: 381522
OS Grid: SK328815
Mapcode National: GBR KYXY.F4
Mapcode Global: WHCCQ.TKBT
Plus Code: 9C5W8FHR+RX
Entry Name: Beauchief Hall and Adjoining Steps Forecourt Walls and Gates
Listing Date: 1 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246567
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455441
Location: Sheffield, S8
Electoral Ward/Division: Beauchief and Greenhill
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
SK38SW BEAUCHIEF DRIVE
784-1/9/70 (North West side)
01/05/52 Beauchief Hall and adjoining steps,
forecourt walls and gates
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
Walls, piers, railings to forecourt
of Beauchief Hall & Gateway to SE)
Country house, now offices, and attached steps, forecourt and
garden walls and railings. Dated 1671, remodelled 1836,
restored c1989. Coursed squared stone and ashlar with ashlar
dressings and hipped stone slate roofs with 6 large coped
ridge stacks and 3 smaller side wall stacks.
EXTERIOR: plinth, string courses, coped parapet. 2 storeys
plus basement; 7 x 5 windows. Windows are mainly wooden cross
casements with moulded mullions and transoms.
Main south front has a 3 window centre flanked on either side
by 2 canted 3 storey bay windows with a single window on each
floor. Central heavily rusticated round-headed doorcase with
Latin inscription and the date 1671 above it, beneath a flat
topped porch, 1836, with lotus columns and a wooden
balustrade. On each side, a closely spaced single window. The
door is reached by a segmental arched ashlar bridge with
moulded coped balustrade, and below it, a plain square headed
doorway to the basement. At the forecourt end of the bridge, a
landing with segmental steps on either side. From the landing,
steps to the garden, with moulded coped balustrade. On either
side of the steps, a chamfered doorway to passages under the
landing. Beyond, on either side, a ramped balustraded wall
dividing the forecourt from the garden, the left return having
a pair of panelled square gate piers with cornices and ball
Central second floor window has moulded surround and cornice.
Above it, pilasters rising through the parapet and topped with
urns, flanking an enriched ogee headed pediment dated 1836,
with ball finial. Below the basement, six 2-light stone
mullioned windows to the cellar. Right return has central
steps with coped solid balustrades to round-arched door with
keystone, beneath a flat-roofed stone porch with single Doric
columns. On either side, 2 cross casements, those to the left
smaller. Above, a small central window with moulded surround
and cornice, flanked by 2 cross casements. Basement has four
2-light mullioned windows, the outer ones with stone mullions.
Left return has a small glazing bar window in a reduced
opening, flanked by 2 cross casements, 2 of them with stone
mullions. Above, a small 2-light window with restored stone
balcony with balustrade, on curved stone brackets. On either
side, 2 cross casements, the right one with stone mullions.
Below, a central round-headed door flanked to left by two
2-light mullioned casements and to right by another similar
Rear elevation has central wing with shouldered gable and
string courses. Large 4-light stone cross mullioned window and
above, a smaller similar 3-light window. Below, 2 small
2-light stone mullioned windows one above another. To right, a
recessed bay with 4 floors, with 2 mullioned or cross
mullioned windows on each floor. To left, a similar bay with
mainly cross casements, its left half largely covered by a
3-storey square extruded corner with a single window on the
upper floors and a C20 double door to the basement. Parapeted
wings on either side have 2 stone mullioned 2-light windows
and above, single wooden cross casements. Left wing has two
2-light mullioned windows to the basement.
INTERIOR has open well dogleg wooden staircase, early C18,
remodelled C19, with turned balusters and newels. C17 minor
stair, oak with turned balusters and newels. Entrance hall has
pine panelling, possibly resited, moulded cornice and large
alabaster fireplace with strapwork, pilasters, dentilled
mantelshelf and corniced overmantel with demi-figure. Ground
floor room to right has moulded plaster wall panels and
cornice, and a smaller alabaster fireplace with shaped
pilasters and dentilled cornice.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: outside, coursed squared stone garden
walls enclosing a garden approx. 70 x 25m. Higher side walls
have rubble coping and to north-east, a pair of square ashlar
gate piers with cornices and finials in the shape of pyramids
supported on 4 balls.
Attached to the east side, and running east then north, a
lower wall with chamfered and moulded stone coping, with a
pair of gate piers with pyramid finials and 2 other piers
Lower south end wall, C18, has chamfered ashlar coping and
wrought-iron railing. Central pair of panelled square ashlar
gate piers with plinths and cornices, topped with busts. Pair
of wrought-iron gates with overthrow with coat of arms. Plain
square end piers topped with urns.
(The Buildings of England: N Pevsner: Yorkshire: The West
Riding: London: 1967-: 476).
Listing NGR: SK3289681522
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings