This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5228 / 51°31'21"N
Longitude: -0.1244 / 0°7'27"W
OS Eastings: 530222
OS Northings: 182095
OS Grid: TQ302820
Mapcode National: GBR J8.79
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.SZMJ
Plus Code: 9C3XGVFG+47
Entry Name: The Horse Hospital
Listing Date: 20 June 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271476
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487549
Location: Bloomsbury, Camden, London, WC1N
Electoral Ward/Division: Bloomsbury
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George Queen Square
Church of England Diocese: London
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/08/2019
The Horse Hospital
(Formerly listed as The Horse Hospital, 2 HERBRAND STREET)
Former stables. c.1890. Yellow stock brick with red brick dressings, cast iron railings in front of ground floor windows, slate roof. Six window, two storey range to northern mews elevation with twin doors to east end; splayed north west corner; three storey return elevation to west with diapered brick ornament.
Ramped stairs of concrete leading down to sunken ground floor and up to first floor; unusual channelled concrete stable floors with stamped mark reading 'S. Ward & Co., George Street, London SW', carried on cast iron columns. Upper floor contains large former stable with open trussed roof carried on cast iron columns. Ancillary room with tongue and groove boarded panelling.
History: this site has had a long history of equestrian use since its initial construction by James Burton in 1794-97. It was occupied by veterinary surgeons and farriers before being used as a print shop until 1988.
The Horse Hospital is a rare survival of double-decker inner-city stables.
Other nearby listed buildings