History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Pavilion

A Grade II Listed Building in West Meon, Hampshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0145 / 51°0'52"N

Longitude: -1.066 / 1°3'57"W

OS Eastings: 465616

OS Northings: 124314

OS Grid: SU656243

Mapcode National: GBR B9M.7BM

Mapcode Global: FRA 86NF.GKH

Plus Code: 9C3W2W7M+QJ

Entry Name: The Pavilion

Listing Date: 25 May 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271514

English Heritage Legacy ID: 487598

Location: West Meon, Winchester, Hampshire, GU32

County: Hampshire

Civil Parish: West Meon

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: West Meon St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
West Meon



1888/0/10017 HEATHFIELD LANE
25-MAY-01 The Pavilion

Cricket Pavilion built in 1912 of weatherboard over timber frame on a brick plinth with a pantile roof. Converted to holiday accommodation in late C20.

PLAN: Rectangular in plan with gabled ends and a verandah and balcony at the front with external stairs at the left end and a scoring box at the right. There is a small projection to the left rear where an extension slightly protrudes. The building is one storey with an attic conversion.

EXTERIOR: In the front centre of the pantile roof is a large gabled dormer window flanked by late C20 rooflights. The verandah has timber posts supporting the balcony above which has a balustrade with stick balusters. There are timber external stairs at the left end of the balcony and a scoring box at the right. The scoring box has plank shutters and a copper ogee-shaped roof with an ornate metal finial. The front of the pavilion, within the verandah, has central glazed double doors flanked by two pairs of 5/4 sash windows with glazing bars and 2 light 2/3 windows to the left and right also with glazing bars. At the rear there are two large gabled roof dormers with a 3/2 casement with glazing bars below each, a small brick lateral stack on the right and a slight projection at the left. There is a sash window (one 3/4 and one 4/4) and oculus at each gable end and a double glazed door at the north-east gable end.

INTERIOR: The ground floor interior is divided into three main areas by its original wooden planked walls and planked doors. These wooden panels can only be seen from the central room, as they have been covered with plaster board elsewhere. The larger central area was the tea room with smaller areas to either end for the changing rooms and kitchen. The kitchen is still used as such, and is accessed by the double doors at the north-east gable end. It has a cast iron fireplace surround of Regency design and modern kitchen units. The changing rooms are now a bedroom to the front and a bathroom to the rear, both of modern construction, and the latter having been extended outwards beyond the original extent of the building. A false ceiling and wooden spiral staircase have been inserted. The attic is converted to form a central landing with a bedroom at either end, all of modern construction. A balustrade with stick balusters demarcates the central landing area.

HISTORY: This cricket pavilion was built in 1912. The land was part of the Westbury Estate owned, at the beginning of the C20, by Colonel Le Roy Lewis of Westbury House. His interest in cricket, and the hope that his son would also pursue this interest, prompted him to level a piece of land on the estate to create a cricket pitch and to build the pavilion. A photograph of 1908 shows the cricket team with a thatched building in the background, which the Colonel thought inappropriate and had demolished in order to make way for the pavilion. The cricket ground and pavilion was subsequently used by the preparatory school which was located at the Estate house. After the closure of the preparatory school the ground was closed and then sold into private ownership. The pavilion was altered in the late C20 and was converted in 1992 into a holiday home.

REASON FOR DESIGNATION DECISION: The Pavilion at West Meon is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* The pavilion is a charming example of Edwardian Sport Building construction, and the late C20 external modifications have not detracted from the special interest.
* The story of the pavilion's construction is of interest in a social history context.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.