This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8616 / 51°51'41"N
Longitude: -2.2382 / 2°14'17"W
OS Eastings: 383692
OS Northings: 218138
OS Grid: SO836181
Mapcode National: GBR 1L5.BXT
Mapcode Global: VH94C.5G3R
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 4 November 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271571
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472086
Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Barton and Tredworth
Built-Up Area: Gloucester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: St James and All Saints, Gloucester
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8318SE BARTON STREET
844-1/13/6 (North side)
04/11/81 Church of All Saints
Parish church. 1874-5, altered 1887. By Sir George Gilbert
Scott, for the Gloucester and Bristol Church Building
Association. Ashlar, tiled roofs with coped gables. Middle
Pointed style. Aisled nave with clerestory of five bays and
south porch; chancel with south aisle re-ordered later as
chapel, the original vestry on north side altered to house
organ, and another vestry added in 1887.
EXTERIOR: west gable-end wall has a large six-light window
with foiled geometrical tracery between flanking buttresses, a
three-light window with similar tracery in the end wall of
The gabled south porch, projecting from the west bay of the
south aisle, has a cusped arched doorway within a moulded
frame; otherwise in each bay of the south aisle a three-light
window with reticulated tracery flanked by offset buttresses;
lean-to roofs over the aisles behind coped parapets above a
continuous string course; in the clerestory square windows
with varied patterns of tracery.
The slightly lower chancel has a coped east gable-end wall
which contains a large seven-light window with foiled
geometrical tracery between flanking offset buttresses capped
by gablets, and at the east end on the south side a two-light
window with reticulated tracery.
The south chapel has a three-light window with foiled
intersecting tracery in the coped gable east wall and a pair
of two-light windows with segmental arched heads in the south
INTERIOR: nave arcades with octagonal piers and moulded bases
and caps, shallow pointed arches to the clerestory windows;
the inner order of the moulded chancel arch is supported on
corbels; on the west side of the chancel arch and supported on
corbels a decorated rood beam with the figures of Christ on
the Cross and the two Marys.
In the sanctuary a finely carved sedilia; between the chancel
and the south chapel, a painted screen with serpentine curves
designed by J Coates-Carter and sculpted by AP Frith c1920.
Good later C19 furnishings throughout including font, painted
organ case and pews.
STAINED GLASS: by Clayton and Bell c1875 in the east window,
in another window in the chancel, and in three windows in the
HISTORY: considered by Verey to be the "finest C19 church in
Gloucester", notable for the overall unity in the design of
the church and its fittings.
The building was constructed with funds from subscribers and a
benefaction from the family of Rev.Thomas Hedley.
(BOE: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of
Dean: London: 1976-: 229; VCH: The City of Gloucester: Oxford:
Listing NGR: SO8369218137
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings