History in Structure

Shadingfield Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.599 / 52°35'56"N

Longitude: 1.7351 / 1°44'6"E

OS Eastings: 653034

OS Northings: 306684

OS Grid: TG530066

Mapcode National: GBR YR8.1GH

Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.MXFY

Plus Code: 9F43HPXP+H2

Entry Name: Shadingfield Lodge

Listing Date: 5 August 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271607

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468612

ID on this website: 101271607

Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR30

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Nelson

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Tagged with: Gatehouse

Find accommodation in



839-1/20/161 (West side)
05/08/74 Shadingfield Lodge


House, now hotel. c1862-5. By AW Morant. Altered internally
1953 by AW Ecclestone. Gault brick under slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 6-window range in all. The east side has
a 3-bay bow towards the north end and 3 bays of conventional
walling towards the south. To south bays have 3 French doors
giving on to the verandah, above are three 2/2 unhorned
recessed sashes set under gauged skewback arches. The bow also
has three 2/2 sashes to each floor under gauged skewback
arches, the lower sashes dropping to the floor level. Clasping
the entire east facade is a cast-iron verandah composed of
paired lattice uprights rising to a pierced upper plate with a
crested cornice. On this cornice is a convex sheet-metal
canopy. Verandah stands on a stone balustrade. North return
with 2 blind windows and two 2/2 upper sashes as before.
Square entrance porch. Plaque records visits of Prince of
Wales in 1872, 1879, 1881, 1882, 1885, 1887, 1895 and 1899.
Rear service wing of 2 storeys in 4 bays, fitted with 2/2
unhorned sashes under gauged skewback arches as before.
INTERIOR: service wing converted into bar in 1953 and oak
chimney-piece moved from dining room: inverted tapering
pilasters support overmantel of 2 paired columns framing a
central fielded panel; carved frieze and cornice. Staircase
with turned balusters and a wreathed handrail. East bar has a
pair of fluted Ionic columns in antis added in 1953 when
dividing wall was removed.

Listing NGR: TG5303406684

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.