This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8682 / 51°52'5"N
Longitude: -2.247 / 2°14'49"W
OS Eastings: 383086
OS Northings: 218873
OS Grid: SO830188
Mapcode National: GBR 1KZ.W5H
Mapcode Global: VH94C.09FP
Plus Code: 9C3VVQ93+75
Entry Name: 4a, Millers Green
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Last Amended: 15 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271715
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472353
Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Gloucester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Hempsted with Gloucester, Saint Mary de Lode and Saint Mary de Crypt
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8318NW MILLER'S GREEN
844-1/8/206 (East side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.4 AND 5)
House. 1616; with late medieval origins substantially
remodelled in C18 and in early C19, minor C20 alterations.
Until late C19 Nos 4A & 4B Miller's Green were the
Schoolmaster's and Usher's houses but then united as one house
until sub-divided again as two houses in 1986. The southern
half incorporates medieval stone structure, including the
remains of a culvert below the ground floor, seen during
excavation but now not visible. Rendered brick and stone,
gabled plain tile roof, brick stacks. Double-depth block with
EXTERIOR: three and two storeys, cellar and attics; entrance
doorway on the south side; irregular fenestration, on both
upper floors late C18 sashes with glazing bars (4x3 panes).
INTERIOR: to right of entrance hall early C19 staircase with
open string, column newels, stick balusters and ramped hand
rail; in principal rooms good C18 architraves and doors; on
ground floor in room to left a chamfered bridging beam, C18
architraves and doors, and a late C18 stone chimney-piece with
the key-block in the lintel carved in relief with vase and a
patera in relief at each end of the frieze; on the first floor
a room with an arched bed recess flanked by cupboards with
arched heads to the doors; in bathroom exposed chamfered
beams; in the gable-end of one of the attics a late C17 leaded
casement with a glass pane inscribed "Sarah Payne 1753" with
"1759" and "1761" in column below, the pane set upside down in
This is the northern part of a late C14 or C15 monastic
building of which the southern half was remodelled as No.4B
Miller's Green (qv).
(Eward S: No Fine but a Glass of Wine, Cathedral Life at
Gloucester: Salisbury: 1985-: 325).
Listing NGR: SO8308618873
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings