This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8627 / 51°51'45"N
Longitude: -2.2515 / 2°15'5"W
OS Eastings: 382778
OS Northings: 218269
OS Grid: SO827182
Mapcode National: GBR 1L5.1MM
Mapcode Global: VH94B.XFLW
Plus Code: 9C3VVP7X+3C
Entry Name: Albert Warehouse
Listing Date: 12 March 1973
Last Amended: 15 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271791
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472550
Location: Westgate, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Gloucester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Hempsted with Gloucester, Saint Mary de Lode and Saint Mary de Crypt
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8218SE THE DOCKS
844-1/11/336 Albert Warehouse
(Formerly Listed as:
Albert Mill Warehouse)
Bonded warehouse, partly converted for use as museum. 1851.
Probably by John Jaques, architect, of Gloucester and Joseph
Moss, builder, for William Partridge, corn merchant and
property developer, of Birmingham. In 1869 converted to a
flour mill for James Reynolds; ground floor converted c1988
for the Robert Opie Museum of Packaging. Brick with stone
lintels and sills, internally hollow cast-iron columns
supporting timber floors, slate roof with timber barge boards
to end-gables and eaves cornices to sides. A large rectangular
block with gable-end facing Victoria Dock.
EXTERIOR: six storeys, basement and attic; on each side in the
centre a former loading door opening flanked to each side by
ten small windows on each floor (many windows built up) and in
the centre of each gable-end wall former loading door opening
flanked to each side by two small windows and a single window
in the gable; in the former loading doors C20 windows; all
windows of similar size with stone lintels and projecting
stone sills; in each side wall, above the former loading doors
in each side wall gabled dormers replacing former cats-head
canopies, the loading doors infilled with C20 windows.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: the first mill in the Gloucester Docks in which
roller milling machinery was installed in 1882. One of three
similar warehouse built following the construction of the
Victoria Dock: Britannia Warehouse (rebuilt and not included)
and Victoria Warehouse (qv).
(Conway-Jones H: Gloucester Docks An Illustrated History:
Gloucester: 1984-: 168; Original Drawings in Gloucestershire
Record Office: D2460 Drawings 1-M).
Listing NGR: SO8277818268
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings