This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8541 / 50°51'14"N
Longitude: -0.9778 / 0°58'40"W
OS Eastings: 472048
OS Northings: 106564
OS Grid: SU720065
Mapcode National: GBR BCN.CLK
Mapcode Global: FRA 86VV.0X9
Entry Name: Signal Box at Havant Station
Listing Date: 17 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271846
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471687
Location: Havant, Hampshire, PO9
Electoral Ward/Division: St Faith's
Built-Up Area: Havant
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Havant St Faith
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU 7206 HAVANT FAIRFIELD ROAD
100/10/10015 Signal Box at Havant Station
Railway signal box. Built c1890 for the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway and extended in c1938 for the Southern Railway. Large Type 5 Saxby and Farmer signal box. Brick frame floor with timber framed upper floor and hipped Welsh slate roof. Five bays, of which the two furthest from the crossing (ie. the west end) were added in c1938. The trackside elevation has blocked arched openings to the locking room, the stone cills are still evident. Balcony at first floor level running in front of three light windows, each light is cross framed, which appear to be plastic replacements, but reproducing the previous timber design except that they are now pivoted; they probably slid horizontally before. Deep eaves brackets top each bay post, the fascia above the windows is divided to match each pane width. The hipped roof has lost its ventilators. Two bay end walls. Rear elevation has corner windows for viewing the crossing and the Hayling Island branch. The external stack has been removed. Ground floor extension probably dates from c1938. Interior : not available for inspection but is said to contain a Westinghouse 70 lever frame dating probably from c1938 when the box was extended. History : This box controls the very important and busy junction between the Portsmouth Direct line of 1859 of the London and South Western railway, and the Brighton to Portsmouth line of the LBSCR of 1847. It also controlled the large joint goods yard at Havant station and the Hayling Island branch opened in 1867. The pattern of box used, a large type 5 Saxby and Farmer was current between 1876 and 1898, but it is said that this one was erected between 1888 and 1897. The dualling of the line from London, completed in 1878, will have led to more traffic on the LSWR line. The box was extended in c1938 when the Southern Railway rebuilt Havant station and it was refitted with a 70 lever frame by the Westinghouse Brake and Signal Company of Chippenham. This company had taken over the Saxby and Farmer works in 1903. References : Peter Kay, The Signal Box, OPC, 1986, p.86. Reasons for listing : This is a very good example of a Type 5 Saxby and Farmer signal box which has additional interest from its extension and refitting by the Southern Railway in c1938. It controls an important junction between what were the lines of two important railway companies and which are now once again carrying the trains of competing companies.
Listing NGR: SU7201705467
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings