This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4908 / 52°29'26"N
Longitude: -2.0924 / 2°5'32"W
OS Eastings: 393820
OS Northings: 288098
OS Grid: SO938880
Mapcode National: GBR 4NN.3H
Mapcode Global: VH91B.PN5F
Plus Code: 9C4VFWR5+82
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 1 August 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1272028
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468799
Location: Netherton, Woodside and St. Andrews, Dudley, DY2
Electoral Ward/Division: Netherton, Woodside and St Andrews
Built-Up Area: Dudley (Dudley)
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Netherton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO 98 NW DUDLEY HIGHBRIDGE ROAD
(West, off), Netherton
726/6/10023 Church of St Andrew
Anglican church. 1827-30, by Thomas Lee, for the Church Commissioners. Gornal stone ashlar facing to brick structure. Slate roof. STYLE: Gothic style. PLAN: galleried nave with small apse and west tower; vestry added at east end in 1938. EXTERIOR: 7-bay nave with parapet, buttresses and tall pointed arch windows with hoodmoulds and pointed arch doorway with label below west window on north and south sides. 4-stage west tower with angle-buttresses with set-offs and tall pinnacles; embattled parapet, large bell-openings with Perpendicular tracery, clock faces with labels over and pointed arches to west window and doorway. Gabled apse at east end with pointed arch window with later Perpendicular tracery and low ashlar vestry of 1938. INTERIOR: ceiled and with galleries on three sides on thin iron columns. Original plain box-pews, but remainder of interior Gothicised later in C19. Furnishings include: late C19 choir stalls, alabaster reredos of 1883, wrought-iron screen of 1892, alabaster pulpit of 1903, font of 1879, brass eagle lectern of 1897 and the organ of 1835 by T H Harrison of Rochdale. (Sources: The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: Harmondsworth: 1974: 208; Colvin H: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840: New Haven and London: 1995: 606).
Listing NGR: SO9382388098
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings