History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tipton Street Methodist Chapel and Sunday School

A Grade II Listed Building in Sedgley, Dudley

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5394 / 52°32'21"N

Longitude: -2.1191 / 2°7'8"W

OS Eastings: 392019

OS Northings: 293511

OS Grid: SO920935

Mapcode National: GBR 4G3.82

Mapcode Global: VH914.7F2N

Entry Name: Tipton Street Methodist Chapel and Sunday School

Listing Date: 4 January 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1272058

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472699

Location: Dudley, DY3

County: Dudley

Electoral Ward/Division: Sedgley

Built-Up Area: Sedgley

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Sedgley All Saints with St Andrew the Straits

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Himley

Listing Text

SO 99 SW DUDLEY TIPTON STREET

5/10027 Tipton Street Methodist Chapel and Sunday School


II

Primitive Methodist chapel and Sunday.school. 1857; Sunday school added in 1881.Flernish bond red brick and with stone dressings. Slate roof with stone-coped gable ends and brick dentil eaves cornice. PLAN : Rectangular plan with entrance at SW end under a gallery .In 1881 a small Sunday school was built at the NE end. Classical style. EXTERIOR: Single storey. Symmetrical3-bay SW front with giant pilasters with stone capitals, brick dentil cornice and wide shaped gable with moulded stone roundel; the centre bay is wider and has a stuccoed portico with Tuscan colwnns, an entablature and a tablet above; the outer bays have large round-arch windows with stone architraves with keystones. S~windows and pilasters on 3-bay right-hand [SEJ return. Left NW return is 3-bays, but has plain pilasters and plain round-arch windows. Iron-frame windows with leaded panes and stained glass at top. At the NE end the Sunday school, a lower and short brick range with iron-frame round-arch windows. INTERIOR: Gallery on slender columns with panelled front. Pews appear to be intact. SOURCE: Underhill, A.E., The Story of the Ancient Manor of Sedgley, pp.426-431.


Listing NGR: SO9201993511

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.