History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 17 Store (Building Number 1/64) and Bollards at North West and South West Corners

A Grade II* Listed Building in Portsmouth, City of Portsmouth

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8011 / 50°48'3"N

Longitude: -1.1059 / 1°6'21"W

OS Eastings: 463101

OS Northings: 100547

OS Grid: SU631005

Mapcode National: GBR VNP.0N

Mapcode Global: FRA 86KZ.BZ9

Entry Name: Number 17 Store (Building Number 1/64) and Bollards at North West and South West Corners

Listing Date: 13 August 1999

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1272265

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476635

Location: Portsmouth, PO1

County: City of Portsmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Charles Dickens

Built-Up Area: Portsmouth

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: St Thomas of Canterbury, Portsmouth

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Gosport

Listing Text

SU 6300 NW ANCHOR LANE
(South side)
774-1/29/188 HM Naval base
No 17 Store (Building No 1/64)
and bollards at NW and SW corners

GV II*


Hemp store, now store. Dated 1781, much altered mid-late C20. Red brick in English bond with blue headers to 2nd floor and forming band above ground floor. C20 flat-topped mansard roof of plain tiles with rooflight replaces former double-pitched roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. 14 bays. Ashlar plinth on south side. Buttresses to ground floor, each with
brick table and stepped offset head. Windows have segmental brick arches, replacement soldier-brick arches on 2nd floor, projecting sills, C20 metal windows. Large, inserted, C20 loading doors with folding metal doors. Boxed eaves. On north side, board door at right end; bays 8 and 10 blind. At east end, single-storey 1-bay addition; above it, gable of main range has date picked out in blue headers. INTERIOR: replacement rivetted steel roof trusses. Replacement internal structure.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: at north-west and south-west corners are bollards formed of upended cannon barrels, probably early-mid C19 reused as bollards mid-late C19; muzzles blocked, that of south-western bollard by a cannon ball.
HISTORY: originally called the East Hemp House, and built as part of the rebuilding of the ropery after the fire of 1770. It is similar in design to the adjacent Nos 16 and 15 Stores (qqv). Though much altered compared with the roperies at Chatham and Devonport, this is still one of the
largest integrated groups of C18 industrial buildings in the country. (Sources: Coad J: Historic Architecture of HM Naval Base Portsmouth 1700-1850: Portsmouth: 1981: 19, plate 15; The Buildings of England: Lloyd D:
Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1985: 413 ; Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 204-206).


Listing NGR: SU6299200361

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.