This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8009 / 50°48'3"N
Longitude: -1.1068 / 1°6'24"W
OS Eastings: 463038
OS Northings: 100526
OS Grid: SU630005
Mapcode National: GBR VNJ.4W
Mapcode Global: FRA 86KZ.BMF
Entry Name: Number 16 Store (Building Number 1/63) and Bollard at South West Corner
Listing Date: 13 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1272263
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476633
Location: Portsmouth, PO1
County: City of Portsmouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Charles Dickens
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: St Thomas of Canterbury, Portsmouth
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU 6300 NW ANCHOR LANE
HM Naval Base
774-1/29/187 No 16 Store (Building No. 1/63)
and bollard at SW corner
Alternatively known as: West Hemp House, ANCHOR LANE HM NAVAL BASE
Hemp store, and bollard, now store. Store dated "GR 1111771 "; much altered mid-late C20. Red brick with some blue headers in English bond. C20 flat-topped mansard roof of plain tiles with rooflight replaces former double-pitched roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellar. 18 bays. Ashlar plinth on south side. Buttresses to ground floor each with brick table and stepped offset head, a cannon-barrel bollard sunk against the north- western most buttress. Windows have segmental brick arches, replacement soldier-brick arches on 2nd floor, replacement concrete sills, and C20 metal windows. Large, inserted, C20 loading doors with folding metal doors. 2 pedestrian doors on north side. East gable has blue headers picking out royal initials, date, flag and crown.
INTERIOR: replacement rivet ted steel roof trusses; mid-late C20 steel- framed internal structure. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: at south-west corner a bollard formed of an upended cannon barrel, probably early-mid C19 reused as bollard mid-late C19, with muzzle blocked.
HISTORY: originally called the West Hemp House, constructed as part of the rebuilding of the ropery after the fire of 1770. It is similar in design to the adjacent Nos 15 and 17 Stores (qqv). Though much altered, compared with the roperies at either Chatham or Devonport, this is still part of one of the largest integrated groups of C18 industrial buildings in the country, and part of a group with the other late C18 ropery buildings (qqv).
(Sources: Coad J: Historic Architecture of HM Naval Base Portsmouth 1700- 1850: Portsmouth: 1981: 19, plate 15; Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690- 1850: Aldershot: 1989: 204-206).
Listing NGR: SU6299200361
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings