History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 10 Store (Building Number 1/58)

A Grade I Listed Building in Portsmouth, City of Portsmouth

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.8005 / 50°48'1"N

Longitude: -1.1095 / 1°6'34"W

OS Eastings: 462847

OS Northings: 100479

OS Grid: SU628004

Mapcode National: GBR VN2.YL

Mapcode Global: FRA 86KZ.9KD

Plus Code: 9C2WRV2R+55

Entry Name: Number 10 Store (Building Number 1/58)

Listing Date: 13 August 1999

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1272284

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476671

Location: Charles Dickens, Portsmouth, PO1

County: City of Portsmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Charles Dickens

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Portsmouth

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: St Thomas of Canterbury, Portsmouth

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


(West side)
HM Naval Base
774-1/18/215 No 10 Store (Building No 1/58)


Naval store, now museum. 1776 by Templar, Parlby and Templar (Riley), bomb damaged c1940, restoration work c1991. Red brick, with some glazed blue headers, in English bond; ashlar dressings. Flat-topped mansard slate roof with lead top. PLAN: rectangular plan with central ground-floor entry and stair. 3 storeys with cellar and attic, 13 x 3 bays.
EXTERIOR: ashlar plinth and 1st-floor band and sill band; stepped brick eaves band below plain ashlar cornice; coped parapet. Ground-floor doorways have round-arched ashlar surrounds with keystones rising into 1st-floor band, plinth blocks and imposts. Windows: are 18-pane sashes, 12-pane to 2nd floor, with gauged bright-red brick flat arches and ashlar sills (some sills replaced in concrete); flat-roofed attic dormers. Rainwater pipes with square heads. North-east elevation: bays arranged
5:3:5, the centre projecting slightly below pediment with oculus and surmounted by 1992 replica clock tower cupola re-using clock faces, ball finial and weather-vane. To centre, large round archway in rusticated ashlar surround with imposts, the voussoirs aligned to courses, and with modillion cornice; flanking windows, that on left replaced by entrance; doorways to other bays in round-arched ashlar surrounds with plinth blocks, imposts and keystones rising into deep 1st-floor band. Rear: as north-east elevation. Above archway, on 2nd floor, is loading door with crane; and a lunette with radial glazing bars to pediment. The ground floor doorways have replacement double board doors and fanlights with decorative glazing bars. Returns each have central entrance and loading door above, with double doors and fanlights with radial glazing bars. Building surrounded by raised pavement of granite slabs carried on iron arches at front and brick plinth at rear, with iron grilles above cellar windows at front and trap doors at rear (mostly now all replaced by grilles).
INTERIOR: cellar: transverse brick walls between bays carry round-arched brick walls; passage along rear side. On ground floor, central through passage has an entrance on each side with double board doors, fanlight with decorative glazing bars, and tooled ashlar architrave with imposts and keystone. On each floor, square wooden columns support large- scantling cross-beams and joists; wide wooden floorboards, some being reused ships' timbers; much of the woodwork of south-east half of 1st
floor and of 2nd floor replaced. Original heavy wooden stair rising from ground to 1st floor has open well, shallow treads, widely-spaced large- scantling plain balusters, square newels with moulded caps and broad handrail. Roof board-lined and with braced queen-post trusses of large- scantling timbers, the south-eastern half of the building having attic and roof rebuilt 1991-92. The bells and clock in the cupola are C19 (clock dated 1878 and made by Gillet and Bland, Team Clock Factory, Croydon), brought from a Bristol School (possibly Bristol Grammar School).
HISTORY: one of three large stores (with Nos 9 and 11 qqv) forming a notably fine group. Much of the Georgian yard was taken up with stores, and these are the most architecturally distinguished surviving examples in any of the naval yards.
Sources: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 132-136 ; The Buildings of England: Lloyd D: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1985: 410; The Portsmouth Papers: Riley RC: The Evolution of the Docks and Industrial Buildings in Portsmouth: Portsmouth: 1985: 7, 10).

Listing NGR: SU6299200361

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.