History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 11 Store (Building Number 1/59)

A Grade I Listed Building in Portsmouth, City of Portsmouth

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.801 / 50°48'3"N

Longitude: -1.1101 / 1°6'36"W

OS Eastings: 462807

OS Northings: 100540

OS Grid: SU628005

Mapcode National: GBR VN0.56

Mapcode Global: FRA 86KZ.9BL

Plus Code: 9C2WRV2Q+CX

Entry Name: Number 11 Store (Building Number 1/59)

Listing Date: 13 August 1999

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1272285

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476672

Location: Charles Dickens, Portsmouth, PO1

County: City of Portsmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Charles Dickens

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Portsmouth

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: St Thomas of Canterbury, Portsmouth

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


SU 6200 NE

MAIN ROAD (West side),
HM Naval Base No 11 Store (Building No 1/59)



Alternatively known as: Present Use Storehouse, MAIN ROAD HM NAVAL BASE Naval store, now museum, library and offices. 1763 by Templar, Parlby and Templar; restored after fire damage 1874 (Riley). Red brick with some glazed blue headers, in English bond; ashlar dressings. Flat-topped mansard slate roof with lead top. PLAN: rectangular plan with central ground-floor entry and stair.

EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with cellar and attic, 13 x 3 bays. Ashlar plinth and 1st-floor band and sill band; stepped brick eaves band below plain ashlar cornice; coped parapet. Ground-floor openings (originally doorways) have round-arched ashlar surrounds with keystones rising into 1st-floor band, plinth blocks, and imposts. Windows are 18-pane sashes, 12-pane to 2nd floor, with gauged bright-red brick flat arches and ashlar cills (some cills replaced in concrete); flat-roofed attic dormers. Rainwater pipes with bulbous heads. North-east elevation: bays arranged 5:3:5 the centre projecting slightly below pediment with later clock; central panelled double door in eared architrave with tripartite keystone, flanked by windows. Doorways to other ground-floor bays, now windows, have round- arched ashlar surrounds with plinth blocks, imposts, and keystones rising into deep 1st-floor band. Rear: as north-east elevation, central 2nd floor loading door with crane; oculus in pediment. Returns each have central entrance and loading door above, with double doors, fanlights with radial glazing bars and cantilevered landings to loading doors (that to left return now replaced by late C20 bridge providing link to No.10 Store (q.v.)); right return retains crane-housing. Building surrounded by raised pavement of granite slabs carried on iron arches at front and brick plinth at rear, with iron grilles above cellar windows (formerly trap doors on rear side).

INTERIOR: cellar: transverse brick walls between bays carry round-arched brick vaults; passage along rear side. On floors above, square wooden columns support large-scantling cross-beams and joists; wide wooden floorboards; ground floor reconstructed as museum gallery but retaining some old floorboards including some reused ships' timbers. Some of the 1st and 2nd floor rooms board-lined, the eaves boards with flower-like vents. Original heavy central wooden stair rising from ground floor to attic has open well, closed string, shallow treads, turned balusters, square newels with moulded caps and broad moulded handrail (a more decorative stair than those in the slightly later No.9 and No.10 Stores, q.q.v.). Roof board-lined with braced queen-post trusses of large-scantling timbers.

HISTORY: one of three large stores (with Nos 9 and 10 q.q.v.) forming a notably fine group. Much of the Georgian yard was taken up with stores, and these are the most-architecturally distinguished surviving examples in any of the naval yards.

(Sources: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 132-136; The Buildings of England: Lloyd D: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1985: 410 ; The Portsmouth Papers: Riley RC: The Evolution of the Docks & Industrial Buildings in Portsmouth: Portsmouth: 1985: 7, 10).

Listing NGR: SU6299200361

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.