History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thomas Coram Foundation for Children and Attached Railings, Lanterns and Parapets

A Grade II Listed Building in King's Cross, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5253 / 51°31'30"N

Longitude: -0.1217 / 0°7'18"W

OS Eastings: 530402

OS Northings: 182378

OS Grid: TQ304823

Mapcode National: GBR J7.VD

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.VX1L

Entry Name: Thomas Coram Foundation for Children and Attached Railings, Lanterns and Parapets

Listing Date: 14 May 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1272392

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476762

Location: Camden, London, WC1N

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: King's Cross

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Holy Cross Cromer Street

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Finsbury

Listing Text


CAMDEN

TQ3082SW BRUNSWICK SQUARE
798-1/95/120 (North side)
14/05/74 No.40
Thomas Coram Foundation for Children
and attached railings, lanterns &
parapets

GV II

Detached office block. c1937. By JM Shepherd. For Thomas Coram
Foundation. Brown brick with hipped pantile roof and dormers.
Double fronted symmetrical building in Neo-Georgian style.
2 storeys, attic and basement. 7 windows and 1 window recessed
extension at west end. Central, stone architraved doorway with
bracketed cornice and scrolled pediment with central bust of
Coram. Wooden panelled double doors. Stone ground floor sill
band. Gauged brick flat arches to slightly recessed sash
windows with exposed boxing and glazing bars. At 1st floor
level, flanking the scrolled pediment, roundels carved in low
relief with putti heads. Stone cornice and blocking course.
Central stone plaque at 2nd floor inscribed RFTHG 1937.
INTERIOR: contains 3 rooms from the former west wing of the
Foundling Hospital 1742-1747, demolished 1926. These are the
court room, the committee room and the picture gallery.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: rainwater head to extension with relief
of a lamb. Approached by double flight of steps with
wrought-iron railings and flanked by piers carrying lanterns.
Attached stone area parapets.

Listing NGR: TQ3040282378

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.