This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3554 / 51°21'19"N
Longitude: -0.462 / 0°27'43"W
OS Eastings: 507192
OS Northings: 162934
OS Grid: TQ071629
Mapcode National: GBR 2C.G6N
Mapcode Global: VHFV3.Y649
Entry Name: The Restaurant, Members' Hill, Brooklands Museum
Listing Date: 1 November 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1272444
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489857
Location: Elmbridge, Surrey, KT13
Electoral Ward/Division: Weybridge St George's Hill
Built-Up Area: Weybridge
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Weybridge
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
The Restaurant, Members' Hill, Brooklands Museum
Restaurant. 1907. Red brick with gabled corrugated asbestos roof. Central double doors, with narrower double doors to left. Ten four-light timber casements beneath eaves. Similar fenestration to rear. A courtyard area to the rear is bounded by a brick and tile range that includes flanking and angled wings, with segmental arched openings.
INTERIOR: plain, with curved bracing to exposed trusses. Cast-iron range in kitchen.
HISTORY: Although a plain and functional building, the restaurant has great importance in relationship to a site of international significance in the development of motor sport and aviation in its pioneering days. It surmounts the hill (known as Members' Hill) that provided views of the world-famous motor racing track at Brooklands, and was in use by the opening of the track on June 17th 1907. The site was a favourite location for newsreel cameramen and many of the classic races were filmed from close to this spot, and in the Second World War the restaurant functioned as a billet for the anti-aircraft gunners that protected the Vickers aircraft factory below. During this period the restaurant also staged musicals and dances for local troops. It was used in the post-war period as a store.
The Members' Hill, a natural rise through which a cutting was made for the Members' Banking, was divided into four areas by railings. The Members' Enclosure at the western end contained the Members' Stand and the luncheon room, the neighbouring Reserved Lawn had the Tattersalls Stand and luncheon room, the Five Shilling Enclosure contained two stands, and the Public Enclosure on the eastern side of the hill was merely grassed over. In 1909 a narrow concrete roadway, the Test Hill, was added on the western side of the Members' Hill. A total of 352ft in length and with an average gradient of 1 in 5, the Test Hill was intended as a standard by which automobile engineers could measure engine and gearbox capabilities and braking. The western end of the Members' Hill which contains the Test Hill, a series of footpaths and steps, the foundations for the Members' Stand, the cloakrooms, kitchens and luncheon room behind the Reserved Lawn and several original lengths of railings are all included in the scheduling.
For more historical details, see entry for The Clubhouse.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings