History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Seal Laundry

A Grade II Listed Building in Sevenoaks, Kent

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2879 / 51°17'16"N

Longitude: 0.2207 / 0°13'14"E

OS Eastings: 554948

OS Northings: 156646

OS Grid: TQ549566

Mapcode National: GBR VT.L9C

Mapcode Global: VHHPL.SW0L

Plus Code: 9F3276QC+57

Entry Name: Seal Laundry

Listing Date: 23 January 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1272452

English Heritage Legacy ID: 449202

Location: Seal, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN15

County: Kent

District: Sevenoaks

Civil Parish: Seal

Built-Up Area: Sevenoaks

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Seal St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Sevenoaks

Listing Text

The following buildings shall be added to the list:

TQ 5456 NE SEAL WILDERNESSE AVENUE
27/1037 SEAL LAUNDRY
GV II

Former stable block, currently a laundry. Built c 1886 for Sir Charles Mills
who bought Wildernesse House and remodelled it at this time. Quadrangular stable
block with attic accommodation built of snecked kentish ragstone with sandstone
dressings and hipped tiled roof. One storey and attics. Front elevation has
central projecting bay with large round-headed carriage arch with keystone and
impost blocks and double 9 panelled doors and curbing stones flanked by rusticated
giant piers with balustrading above incorporating central pedimented dormer windows.
Ashlar square clock tower flanked by pilasters with hipped roof surmounted by metal
weathervane. On either side are 3 blank round-headed arches with keystones and
impost blocks. At the corners are pavilions with hipped roofs and pedimented
dormers with feet and one round-headed window. Moulded eaves cornice and plinth.
Right side elevation is of 2 storeys with moulded cornice and stone platband, to
right is an external chimneystack with 6 paned sash to left with horns. To the left
of this are 3 sashes under a hip and a first floor door. Left side elevation is
similar. The entrance arch is vaulted in sandstone. The interior courtyard has a
series of sash windows, first floor loading doors and cambered doorcases. Opposite
the entrance is a C20 lean to with double doors imitating the original carriage
doors and to the right is a late C20 brick factory extension not of special
interest. The rear range has 2 stone well staircases with cast iron stick balusters
and wooden handrail terminating in a baluster. Circular apertures remain in the
ceilings of the stables and there are feed shutes still remaining,a sand-headed
alcove in one corner of the courtyard was originally a pump. The courtyard is paved
in granite slabs.


Listing NGR: TQ5494856646

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.