History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Mary's Gatehouse Including Attached Steps, Seat, Lamp, Drinking Fountain and Letterbox

A Grade II Listed Building in Sevenoaks, Kent

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2701 / 51°16'12"N

Longitude: 0.1817 / 0°10'54"E

OS Eastings: 552292

OS Northings: 154583

OS Grid: TQ522545

Mapcode National: GBR MN3.BRP

Mapcode Global: VHHPS.3BFQ

Plus Code: 9F3275CJ+2M

Entry Name: St Mary's Gatehouse Including Attached Steps, Seat, Lamp, Drinking Fountain and Letterbox

Listing Date: 18 April 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1272475

English Heritage Legacy ID: 449177

Location: Sevenoaks, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN13

County: Kent

District: Sevenoaks

Civil Parish: Sevenoaks

Built-Up Area: Sevenoaks

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Kippington St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Sevenoaks

Listing Text

SEVENOAKS OAKHILL ROAD
TO 55 SW
4/158
No 64 St Mary's
Gatehouse including
attached Steps, Seat,
Lamp, Drinking Fountain
and Letterbox
- II

House with attached steps, seat, street lamp, drinking fountain and letterbox.
1915. Built by Charles W Bowles FRIBA for Henry Percy Thompson as a memorial to
his parents. House is in Tudor style, timber-framed with plaster infilling on
sandstone base. Peg-tiled roof with 2 paired diagonally-set brick chimney stacks
to ridge and large external brick and stone chimneystack with paired diagonal
shafts to sides. 2 storeys: 3 windows. Each end has projecting gable with cusped
barge-boards and pendants, close-studding with crenellated tie beams and quatre-
foil ornaments. Central bay has 4-light mullioned casements with leaded lights,
other windows are 2-light. Ground floor front has filled in Tudor arch flanked by
cinquefoil-headed sidelights, probably original the main entrance, which is now in
a porch on the right hand side elevation. To the left is an open passageway lead-
ing to St Mary's Church (also endowed by Henry Percy Thompson). This has a moulded
bressummer, 4 centred arch flanked by cinquefoil headed lights and rows of cinque-
foil headed lights to side. Plastered ceiling with fleur-de-lys and shield
motifs and lead plaque with inscription to the donor's parents. The rear
elevation is close-studded and has a projecting gable with attached glazed stair-
case. Interior has a staircase with splat balusters, wooden fireplace with Delft
tiles. Attached to the house is a section of curved walling of stone, brick and
tiles with a series of stone steps, which divides in the middle to enclose a
triangular wooden seat with an Art Nouveau lamp standard comprising square wooden
pier with square glass and iron lantern surmounted by finial. Attached to the
left-hand side is a stone wall incorporating a metal drinking fountain and a
Victorian wall letter box. Behind the house the flight of curved stone steps
continues, terminating in 2 brick piers with stone cornices.
The rent from letting the house was designed to serve as part of the benefice
stipend.


Listing NGR: TQ5229254583

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.