History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Boiler House and Attached Chimney to North of Old Lane Mill

A Grade II* Listed Building in Halifax, Calderdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7335 / 53°44'0"N

Longitude: -1.8712 / 1°52'16"W

OS Eastings: 408597

OS Northings: 426353

OS Grid: SE085263

Mapcode National: GBR HTC8.PC

Mapcode Global: WHC9M.7F75

Entry Name: Former Boiler House and Attached Chimney to North of Old Lane Mill

Listing Date: 12 April 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1272533

English Heritage Legacy ID: 448959

Location: Calderdale, HX3

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Town

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Halifax

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Halifax The Minster Church of St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Halifax

Listing Text


679-/10/10070

OLD LANE
(West side)

Former boiler house and attached chimney to north of Old Lane Mill

II*

GV
Boiler house and integral chimney. 1827-8. Built to serve Old Lane Mill for James
Ackroyd. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings and corrugated asbestos roof 2
storey. 3 x 5 windows.
East front has a rusticated ashlar, ground floor front with 3 round arched openings,
these are all now blocked. Above 3 boarded windows with flush ashlar lintels. The
south-east corner is chamfered. The south front has 3 windows on the upper floor and
to the right a doorway, formerly reached by an external stair.
The integral chimney rises from the west wall. It has a square base with ashlar coping,
supporting a tall circular stack with a rolled base and a truncated top.
Interior: retains its original cast iron roof trusses, purlins and common rafters.
This building is listed as an integral part of the oldest, largest and best preserved
example of a multi-storey, steam-powered, iron frame textile mill in Halifax.

Listing NGR: SE 08597 26353

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


679-/10/10070

OLD LANE
(West side)

Former boiler house and attached chimney to north of Old Lane Mill

II*

GV
Boiler house and integral chimney. 1827-8. Built to serve Old Lane Mill for James
Ackroyd. Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings and corrugated asbestos roof 2
storey. 3 x 5 windows.
East front has a rusticated ashlar, ground floor front with 3 round arched openings,
these are all now blocked. Above 3 boarded windows with flush ashlar lintels. The
south-east corner is chamfered. The south front has 3 windows on the upper floor and
to the right a doorway, formerly reached by an external stair.
The integral chimney rises from the west wall. It has a square base with ashlar coping,
supporting a tall circular stack with a rolled base and a truncated top.
Interior: retains its original cast iron roof trusses, purlins and common rafters.
This building is listed as an integral part of the oldest, largest and best preserved
example of a multi-storey, steam-powered, iron frame textile mill in Halifax.

Listing NGR: SE 08597 26353

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.