This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9667 / 52°58'0"N
Longitude: -0.9071 / 0°54'25"W
OS Eastings: 473496
OS Northings: 341597
OS Grid: SK734415
Mapcode National: GBR BLJ.5G8
Mapcode Global: WHFJ1.1P9J
Plus Code: 9C4XX38V+M4
Entry Name: Church of St John of Beverley
Listing Date: 1 December 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1272713
English Heritage Legacy ID: 448152
Location: Scarrington, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG13
Civil Parish: Scarrington
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Scarrington
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SCARRINGTON HAWKSWORTH ROAD
SK 74 SW
(south east side)
4/126 Church of St. John
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16. Rebuilt 1867 by J. H.
Hakewill. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar with plain tile
roofs. Chamfered plinths and sill bands. West tower with spire,
nave, vestry, chancel, south aisle. West tower, early C14, 2
stages, has 4 corner buttresses, 2 setoffs. String course,
moulded eaves and parapet, 4 spouts. Setback rockfaced ashlar
spire with 3 tiers of cusped gabled lucarnes, finial and wind
vane. First stage has to south, 3 stair lights. To west,
doorway, early C14 with foliate and ball flower bands. Remains of
hood mould with finial and mask stops. Above, C14 double lancet.
Second stage has 4 mid C14 cusped ogee headed bell openings.
Nave, 3 bays, has single buttress to east, and lean-to shed with
door in return angle. To left, C16 triple lancet with moulded
Tudor arched opening and hood mould. To right, 2 C19 chamfered
lancets with hood moulds. To right again, C16 square headed
double lancet with hood mould. Lean-to vestry, C19, has a
chamfered lancet to east. Chancel, 2 bays, has ashlar quoins and
moulded sill band. North side has to east a chamfered lancet.
East end has shouldered headed lancet, C13 style, with hood mould
and mask stops. South side has off-centre priest's door with hood
mould, flanked by single plain lancets, that to right larger.
South aisle, C19, 3 bays, has sill band and 2 pairs squat corner
buttresses. South side has 3 chamfered lancets. East and west
ends have double lancets with hood moulds. Tower chamber has C19
timber draught screen and staircase door with timber jambs. C14
tower arch, double chamfered and rebated, has imposts with moulded
octagonal capitals. Traceried panelled glazed screen, 1960. Nave
south arcade, early C14, 3 bays, has to east octagonal pier with
moulded round base, round seat and restored foliate capital.
Respond has moulded square base and capita with nailhead. To
west, round pier with water holding base, round seat, and moulded
capita . Respond has similar smaller base and capital with
nailhead. Double chamfered arches have hood moulds and 4 mask
stops. Roof has 2 C16 arched tie beams and C19 double tie beam.
C18 principal rafters with double butt purlins and collars. South
aisle east and west end windows have round shafts, hood moulds and
stops. South side windows have four centred arched heads. That
to east has stained glass to T. D. Readett-Bayley, signed "P and
Q", 1956. Softwood lean-to roof with arch braces on corbels.
Chancel arch, C14 style, restored, double chamfered, has angel
corbels as imposts. Chancel north side has recess with a round
shaft and moulded C14 lintel with mask boss on C19 corbels.
Window to right, has shafts and hood mould. Stained glass and
brass to Mary Marsh, signed "A. Hughes, London, 1870." East end
has moulded sill band with central gable with crocketed finial.
Dentillated gradine and alabaster reredos with relief panels and
mosaic cross, flanked by foliate tile panels. C13 style east
window has trefoil head, shafts, shaped hood moulds with stops and
stained glass, 1846. South side has to east, cove moulded
piscina, C13 style, with hood mould and stops. Eastern window has
shafts and hood mould and stained glass, 1891. Smaller window to
west has stained glass, 1870. To right, small chamfered aumbry.
Principal rafter roof with arch brace on corbels. Vestry has no
architectural features. Fittings include simply moulded
matchboard benches, stalls and desks, C19. C19 timber lectern.
C19 panelled softwood pulpit. Font, 1662, poor condition, round
shaft with tapered octagonal bowl, moulded rim, strapwork panels,
and C19 cover. Disused square font with chamfered corners and
chamfered tapered square shafts. C17 communion table, with heavy
vase shaped turned legs, brackets to top rail with foliate panels.
Memorials include Classical marble and slate tablet, 1829, tablet
1902, marble and slate tablet with ramped top, serving as war
memorial, c.1920. Oval ashlar war memorial tablet with wreathed
border, 1945. C20 brass. Benefaction boards with moulded frames.
1816 and later C19. Board referring to grant for restoration,
Listing NGR: SK7349641597
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings