This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9747 / 52°58'28"N
Longitude: -0.8625 / 0°51'44"W
OS Eastings: 476482
OS Northings: 342531
OS Grid: SK764425
Mapcode National: GBR BLD.JRP
Mapcode Global: WHFJ1.QHHD
Entry Name: Church of St Helena
Listing Date: 1 December 1965
Last Amended: 14 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1272720
English Heritage Legacy ID: 448178
Location: Thoroton, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG13
Civil Parish: Thoroton
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Thoroton
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
THOROTON CHURCH LANE
SK 74 SE
5/152 Church of St.
listed as Church of
1.12.65 St. Helen)
Parish church. Cll, C12, C13, C14; restored, chancel rebuilt,
re-roofed and re-seated by J. H. Hakewill, 1869. Coursed and
random rubble, dressed stone and ashlar. Ashlar dressings.
Lean-to and gabled plain tile roofs with coped gables and
crosses. External stone gable stack to north. West tower, nave,
north and south aisles, vestry, chancel, south porch. West
tower, C14, 3 stages, has chamfered and moulded plinth, 2 string
courses, restored corbel table with masks and 4 gargoyles.
Quatrefoil pierced balustrade. Setback octagonal spire with 3
tiers of gabled lucarnes with crosses and cusped double lancets.
Above, weathercock. To west, 2 pairs of corner buttresses, 3
setoffs. North east and south east corners have each a small
buttress. South east corner has 2 stage canted stair turret with
slab roof. 3 stair lights. First stage has to south, a lancet.
To west, large cusped crocketed ogee headed niche with finial,
flanked by a pair of mutilated angels in moulded panels. Above,
gabled hood mould with finial. Niche contains octagonal
tripartite bracket. Second stage has to south, cusped ogee
headed lancet. Third stage has 4 double lancets with ogee
reticulation, hood moulds and mask stops. Nave clerestory has on
each side 3 C19 quatrefoil windows. North aisle, 3 bays, has
chamfered plinth, band, and eaves. West end has cusped ogee
headed single lancet. North side has 3 C19 cusped triple lancets
with chamfered and rebated four centred arched reveals. Single
bay vestry, mid C19, has chamfered string course. North side has
cusped ogee lancet. East end has re-set Cll splayed lancet with
hood mould. Above it, fragment of Cll arch with cable moulding.
Chancel, 2 bays, has chamfered string course and east end has
sill band and pair of flanking buttresses. Early C14 style
triple lancet with moulded surround. South side has stepped sill
band. To west, single and to east, double C14 style lancets.
All windows have hood moulds with uncarved stops. South aisle, 3
bays, C15. Moulded string course and parapet. A corner buttress
at each end. Rendered plinth at west end. South side has 2 C15
triple lancets with ogee reticulation and hood moulds. South
porch, C19, has string course, chamfered eaves, and pair of
flanking buttresses. Roll moulded doorway with hood mould and
uncarved stops. Principal rafter roof with collars. Chamfered
and pointed inner doorway with late C18 Gothic panelled door.
North arcade, C13, restored, 3 bays, has 2 round piers and
responds. Moulded round bases and capitals. Double chamfered
and rebated arches with remains of scrolled imposts. Hood mould
with uncarved stops. Late C13 south arcade, 3 bays, has 2
octagonal piers and responds. Moulded octagonal bases and
capitals. East respond has nailhead band. Double chamfered and
rebated arches with hood moulds. King post roof with curved
struts and arch braces. Tower arch, C14, double chamfered and
rebated, has hood mould and mask stops. Tower chamber has no
architectural features. North aisle has plain lean-to roof.
West end window has stained glass, 1868. South aisle has similar
roof. Easternmost window has stained glass, c.1909. Chancel
arch, 1868, chamfered and rebated, with uncarved imposts.
Chancel has to north, pointed opening to vestry and chapel with
oak screen in C15 style, 1937. East end has sill band and
moulded window reveal with shafts. Stained glass signed "Lavers,
Barraud and West lake, London, 1869". South side has to east,
corner piscina in C13 style, moulded pointed openings, round
shafts and hood moulds. To its right, window seat. 2 windows
with stained glass, 1869, signed "Lavers, Barraud and Westlake".
Plain arch braced principal rafter roof. Vestry converted to
chapel has moulded square opening in east wall. Lean-to roof.
Fittings include plain chamfered round font with C14 base,
restored. Choir stalls, clergy desks, altar rail, square pulpit,
oak, 1937. Matchboard benches, 1869. 6 early C19 benches with
ogee ends and fleur de lys finials. C19 wood lectern. Small
late C17 table, with splayed turned legs and chip carving.
Monuments include slate tablet with Latin inscription to Gulielmi
Barrett, 1760. Panelled marble war memorial tablet with arched
head containing wreath, 1919.
Listing NGR: SK7648142531
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings