History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Flintham Hall and Adjoining Terrace Wall

A Grade I Listed Building in Flintham, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0072 / 53°0'25"N

Longitude: -0.901 / 0°54'3"W

OS Eastings: 473839

OS Northings: 346104

OS Grid: SK738461

Mapcode National: GBR BKZ.F1K

Mapcode Global: WHFHV.4P60

Entry Name: Flintham Hall and Adjoining Terrace Wall

Listing Date: 28 November 1972

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1272727

English Heritage Legacy ID: 448096

Location: Flintham, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG23

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Rushcliffe

Civil Parish: Flintham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Flintham

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Elston

Listing Text

FLINTHAM FLINTHAM HALL PARK
SK 7346
7/71 Flintham Hall and
adjoining terrace
wall
28.11.72

G.V. I

Country house. C17, early C18 and 1798. For Col. T. Thoroton.
Extended 1820 by Lewis Wyatt. Recased and remodelled 1853-59 by
T. C. Hine. For T. B. T. ilildyard Snr. Italianate style.
Brick, partly rendered, ashlar, ashlar dressings. Hipped and
gabled slate roofs. Plinth, rusticated quoins, moulders string
course and cornice, balustrade with urns. 5 ridge, single
external gable, single side wall and single ridge stacks. 2 and
3 storeys, 11 bays wide by 3 bays deep. L-plan. Windows are
mainly sashes and casements, those to main fronts with eared and
shouldered architraves. Ground floor windows have pulvinated
friezes and broken swan neck pediments with ball finials. Main
west front has central tower porch, 3 stages, with forte cochere.
2 string courses and modillioned upper cornices. First stage has
3 keystoned round headed openings flanked by Ionic columns.
Spandrels have various Arms. Half-glazed door has round-paned
overlight and moulded round headed surround. Flanked by single
projecting traceried Venetian windows with colonettes. Above,
tower has on each side a projecting round headed window with swan
neck pediment. Above it, a wreathed round window. Flanked by
single projecting untraceriedvepetiqq K(qdows. Above them, a
pair of shaped lights with bracketed architraves and a round
light above and between them. Above again, tower has on each
side a double Venetian lancet with moulded reveal and hood mould.
Above again, balustraded square stair turret with ornate iron
finials and wind vane. On each side, a round headed window with
hood mould. South front has to left, 3 storey block with
projecting off centre bay and to right, canted turret with 5
windows on each floor. To right, 2 storey library block with
projecting central bay. To right again, conservatory with glazed
cast iron barrel vault. Main block has off-centre round headed
French window with flanking lights and 4 Ionic columns carrying
stepped cornice. Flanked to left by 3 and to right by 2 French
windows. Library, to right, has mullioned triple round headed
casement, flanked by single French windows with segmental
pediments. Above, to left, Venetian window with swan necked
pediment flanked to left by 3 and to right by 2 sashes. Library
has central triple mullioned sashes flanked by single sashes.
Above again, to left, pair of shaped casements with bracketed
architraves and a round light above and between them. Flanked to
left by 3 and to right by 2 sashes. Conservatory, to right, has
transomed and mull ioned glazing. South gable has traceried
central light with pairs of flanking Ionic columns carrying
stepped cornice. Gable has iron fanlight. Return angle has
similar columns, cornice and fenestration. East end has to left,
conservatory with 3 projecting bays. Each has a transomed round
headed window, the lower part blocked. To right, 2 storey
service wing, 1798, incorporatinq part of C17 house, with glazing
bar sashes with segmental rubbed brick heads. Off-centre late
C20 Doric portico flanked to left by a sash and beyond, bay
window with 3 sashes. To right, late C20 opening with
elliptical head, and beyond 4 sashes. Above, to left, keystoned
oval opening flanked by single sashes. To right, 6 sashes.
Courtyard side has similar windows. Off-centre opening with
elliptical head. To its left, door with segmental head, flanked
to left by 2 sashes, and to right by 2 blank openings. To its
right, door with segmental head. Above, to left, sash flanked by
single blank openings. To right, sash and 3 blank openings.
Rear elevation has to left, 2 storey wing, 1798, with glazing bar
sashes. Central reeded doorcase with brackets, pediment and
overlight, flanked by 2 sashes. Above, 5 taller sashes. To
right, 3 storey block has to left, set back bay with round headed
French window and flanking lights. To right, projecting bay with
French window flanked to left by 4 light round headed casement
with iron latticed window. Above it, 2 restored datestones with
drawing instruments and builders' tools, inscribed "TCH" and "E &
H". To right, a similar French window. Above to left, transomed
mullioned casement. To its right, large traceried mullioned
stair window. To its right, 2 traceried round headed windows
with swan neck pediments. Above again, to left, 3 mullioned
casements. To right, 2 pairs of shaped casements with bracketed
architraves and a round light above and between them. Interior
retains fittings, decoration and furniture of c.1857.
Conservatory has to east, 3 recesses containing mirrors, and to
north, 2 round-headed recesses, that to left with door. 2 tier
round stem marble fountain with scalloped bowls. 8 wire hanging
baskets. 4 notable bronze Dorothea Lily wall lamps with parian
figures and glass shades. Above, west side has bracketed balcony
with canopy and round headed openings. Library has at each end a
3 bay round headed screen with paired Corinthian columns, flanked
by single shouldered openings and bookcases. North side has
elaborate marble fireplace by McQuoid, 1851, with carved and
panelled wooden surround. Overmantel has 3 round headed niches
with figures. Flanking cupboards have round headed fretwork
doors. Cornice has round headed niches and crest. Gallery has
elaborate brackets and wooden balustrade with 4 foliate brass
lamps. Fitted bookcases. East end has traceried screen. South
side has 3 bay arcade with tracery screen leading to balcony.
West end has segmental headed central opening flanked to left by
bookcase and to right by round headed opening. Ornate plaster
panelled ceiling. 2 large crystal gasoliers. Adjoining Little
Library has round headed fireplace with matching overmantel
mirror, and fitted bookcases. Modillioned cornice. Oak panelled
Dining Room has segmental headed ashlar fireplace with shields in
frieze. Family portraits built into panelling. Moulded cornice.
Ornate plaster ceiling. Several bedrooms retain decoration and
furnishings c.1857. Tower bathroom has porcelain bath in
mahogany surround, with brass fittings and shower unit. Former
Gun Room has late C17 fireplace with foliate scrolls and
modillioned cornice, and above it, roundel with portrait of Sir
Robert Hildyard, both from Winestead Hall. Stone cantilevered
dogleg principal staircase has octagonal newels, traceried
balustrade and panelled dado. Stair window has patterned stained
glass. Stone spiral library gallery stair with hanging spherical
brass lamp. Dogleg attic stair with ramped handrail and stick
balusters. Flintham Hall stands on the site of a much older
house bought from the Disney family by Col. Thomas Thoroton in
1789. This house was rebuilt by an unknown architect in 1798,
incorporating the earlier parlour wing at the east end. This was
linked by a 4 bay single storey range to a 3 storey, 7 bay main
block, with its main entrance to the west. The single storey
range was enlarged to form a library by Lewis Wyatt for Col.
Thomas Thoroton-Hildyard in 1820-1830. The house was remodelled
by T. C. Hine for T. B. T. Hildyard Snr. in 1853-59. The
builders were East and Hills.


Listing NGR: SK7383946104

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.