This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0928 / 51°5'33"N
Longitude: -1.8153 / 1°48'55"W
OS Eastings: 413030
OS Northings: 132621
OS Grid: SU130326
Mapcode National: GBR 510.HVH
Mapcode Global: FRA 7627.JLW
Plus Code: 9C3W35VM+4V
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 12 October 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1272953
English Heritage Legacy ID: 446913
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Stratford sub Castle St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
676/12/585 STRATFORD ROAD
12-OCT-72 CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
Early C13 chancel but consecration recorded for 1326. Perpendicular nave.
Tower rebuilt in 1711 by Thomas Pitt. Chequer stone and flint. Nave has C16
waggon roof supported by demi-angels, bosses. Chancel also has waggon roof.
Perpendicular east window. Of circa 1711: reredos with open segmental pediment,
good foliage carving. Altar rails have turned balusters. Round arch to centre
of screen. Panelling and stalls in chancel. Jacobean pulpit with fine tester
and home-glass dated 165l. West gallery circa 1800. Octagonal C12 Purbeck
font. Elaborate Royal Arms of 1713. C18 pews. Churchyard has fine avenue
of lines leading to Marwardon Court (Old Vicarage).
Listing NGR: SU1302932621
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings