History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in New Brighton, Wirral

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4372 / 53°26'14"N

Longitude: -3.0454 / 3°2'43"W

OS Eastings: 330646

OS Northings: 393891

OS Grid: SJ306938

Mapcode National: GBR 7X5P.GK

Mapcode Global: WH870.6V1T

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 17 October 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1273545

English Heritage Legacy ID: 444539

Location: Wirral, CH45

County: Wirral

Electoral Ward/Division: New Brighton

Built-Up Area: Wallasey

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Find accommodation in
New Brighton

Listing Text


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/09/2016

SJ 39 SW
3/73

WALLASEY,
NEW BRIGHTON,
ALBION STREET (north side),
Church of St. James

(Formerly listed as: WALLASEY, VICTORIA ROAD (south side),
New Brighton, Church of St. James)

17.10.86

II

Church. 1854-6. By Sir G.G. Scott. Snecked stone with
ashlar dressings, slate roof. 4-bay nave with aisles under
lean-to roofs, north and south transepts, chancel with north
east tower, south chapel and vestry. Aisles have paired
cusped lights between weathered buttresses. Gabled western
porches with entrances of 2 orders and round windows.
Clerestory has traceried triangular windows. West end has
gabled buttresses, west door of 2 orders, 3 cusped lancets
and top round windows. Transepts have gabled buttresses, 3
cusped lancets and rose window to north and south. Chancel
has canted end, Lombard frieze and corbelled angle shafts;
2-light windows. Tower has gabled angle buttresses; cusped
pointed east entrance and blind arcading to north; 2nd stage
has traceried lancets; 3rd stage has paired trefoil-headed
lights; 4th stage has nook shafts and 2-light louvred bell
openings, cornice with ball flower. Broach spire has 2
tiers of lucarnes, the lower tier removed, niches over
broaches. South chapel has diagonal buttress and 2-light
windows. Vestry extending to south of 1923, straight-headed
windows with cusped lights. Interior: Nave arcades of 5
bays on round columns. Chancel arch on columns with foliate
capitals. Low iron chancel screen, octagonal timber pulpit
with figures; 1912. Arch to north organ loft and 2-bay
arcade to south chapel. East end has wall paintings, 1899,
by A.D. Hemming; canopied figures and angels, ceiling also
painted. Painted reredos, 1891, by A.D. Hemmings. South
chapel has reredos and parclose screen, 1938, by B.A.
Miller. Some interesting C19 stained glass to north and
east.


Listing NGR: SJ3064693891

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.