This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0621 / 52°3'43"N
Longitude: 0.1956 / 0°11'44"E
OS Eastings: 550614
OS Northings: 242683
OS Grid: TL506426
Mapcode National: GBR MBG.N9C
Mapcode Global: VHHKX.BFSL
Plus Code: 9F42356W+R6
Entry Name: Bishops House
Listing Date: 1 March 1991
Last Amended: 14 May 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1273580
English Heritage Legacy ID: 417679
Location: Great Chesterford, Uttlesford, Essex, CB10
Civil Parish: Great Chesterford
Built-Up Area: Great Chesterford
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Chesterford All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/12/2017
TL 54 SW
Bishops House(Formerly listed as Former Vicarage, HALL YARD,previously listed as Former Vicarage,HALL YARD (Off Church Street,GREAT CHESTERFIELD)
House,once vicarage.Circa early C18,extended in circa 1830s and in late C20.Flemish bond brick;early C18 block red brick,1830s extensions gault brick.Slate hipped roofs with deep eaves.Large brick axial stack at centre of early C18 block with four flues linked by arches.Two-room plan original three storey and basement central block with large central stack and lobby entrance in projecting central bay.In circa 1830s extended at sides and by addition of large north range,now the front. In late C20 conservatory added at west and small wing at east ends.Three storeys and attic original block and two storey 1830s extension with long ten:one window range facing north,the right hand bay projects.Mainly twelve-pane sashes and rubbed brick flat arches.Gabled brick porch in bay six with recessed round arch doorway,fanlight and panelled door.one:three:three bay south elevation,the central bay and rusticated brick quoins.Twelve-pane sashes with cambered brick arches and two-light casement with glazing bars on second floor;tall central half-glazed door with glazing bars and overlight and narrow round-arch windows in returns of porch.Various French casements,sashes and tripartite sashes on flanking wings.Late C20 brick conservatory on west end and single storey wind on east end.Interior:Much of the circa 1830 joinery survives including an open-well staircase panelled doors and shutters etc.and cornices and various chimneypieces,some marble and with iron grates,some in chambers.Resited early C18 china-cupboard in room to east of entrance hall.Plaster stripped from walls,ceiling and coved chimneybreast of original ground floor room.Small open-well early C18 attic staircase in original block.with moulded string and rail,turned balusters and square newels.
Listing NGR: TL5061442683
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings