History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Teversal Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Stanton Hill & Teversal, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1513 / 53°9'4"N

Longitude: -1.2792 / 1°16'44"W

OS Eastings: 448304

OS Northings: 361815

OS Grid: SK483618

Mapcode National: GBR 7CR.FFF

Mapcode Global: WHDFY.B13Z

Plus Code: 9C5W5P2C+G8

Entry Name: Teversal Manor

Listing Date: 15 June 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1274450

English Heritage Legacy ID: 415262

Location: Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, NG17

County: Nottinghamshire

Electoral Ward/Division: Stanton Hill & Teversal

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Teversal

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Teversal

Listing Text

SK 46 SE TEVERSAL BUTTERY LANE
(south side)
1/15A Teversal Manor
GV II
Small country house. C16, late C17 altered 1764 and largely remodelled
by MacVicar Anderson in 1896 in a Neo-Jacobean style. Coursed and dressed
rubble stone with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with ashlar coped gables
and kneelers with ball finials. Chamfered plinth and eaves band. 9 moulded
stacks with double chamfered tops. 2 storey plus attic. Entrance front
has projecting 2 storey porch with large four-centred archway containing
double panel doors in a glazed surround, and a hood mould with stops. Above
a 3 light cross mullion window with flat hood, and above in the gable, a
small square plaque containing a shield and the date 1764. South, garden
front. 7 irregular bays. Western section 1896 5 bays with 2 central sets
of double glazed doors within chamfered surrounds. Flanked by single 4 light
and beyond single 2 light cross mullion windows. Above 4, 4 light mullion
window. All openings have flat hoods. Above 4 gables, those in the centre
smaller. To the left a single C17 bay with 2 C18 bays beyond. To the left
2, 3 light double chamfered mullion windows and then a 4 light cross mullion
window with double glazed doors inserted. Above a 2 light window to left
and 2, 3 light mullion windows to the right. Above again in the left gable
a single light chamfered window, and to the right a small dormer. The present
kitchen wing to the east contains the oldest sections of the house, with
a single C17 3 light mullion window on the upper floor. Interior, main rooms
of 1896 have various re-used C18 fireplaces, notably that in the Drawing
Room. Good quality Neo-Jacobean staircase. The kitchen wing has massive cham-
fered spine beams, and the upper floor has a fine bolection moulded fireplace
of c.1700. The eastern wing has various rooms with C19 panelling incorporating
various sections and cupboards c.1700 plus some good plain fireplaces. The
smoking room has an unusual Art Nouveau style wooden fireplace. The cellars
contain a large stone salting table. The remodelling by MacVicar Anderson
was carried out for the Hon. Henrietta Molyneaux.


Listing NGR: SK4830461815

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.