History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Remains of Wansley Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Selston, Nottinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.057 / 53°3'25"N

Longitude: -1.313 / 1°18'46"W

OS Eastings: 446139

OS Northings: 351308

OS Grid: SK461513

Mapcode National: GBR 7DV.BV2

Mapcode Global: WHDG9.SFY7

Plus Code: 9C5W3M4P+RQ

Entry Name: Remains of Wansley Hall

Listing Date: 6 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1274462

English Heritage Legacy ID: 415164

Location: Selston, Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, NG16

County: Nottinghamshire

Civil Parish: Selston

Built-Up Area: Ironville

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Brinsley with Underwood

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Pinxton

Description

SK 45 SE SELSTON WANSLEY HILL
(south side)
5/73 Remains of
Wansley Hall
GV II
The list description should be amended to read:-
Ruined remains of medieval manor house C13,C16,late C17 and early C18,C19.
Coursed and squared rubble, dressed stone and brick, with remains of internal
timber framing. Partial chamfered plinth, ashlar quoins and dressings. Remains
of square central stack and side wall stack, brick. 2 storeys, 3 unequal bays.
L-plan, former hall on east-west axis, with later projecting wing to south.
North front has 2 square openings, that to right blocked. Above, 2, 3 light
keeled mullioned windows. east side has remains of projecting gable to right.
To left, doorway and small casement. To their right, remains of mullioned
casement. To right again, broken opening and early C19 door with flat hood.
To right again, a casement on each floor. West side has projecting wing to
left, with square opening in plinth. To its right, basement level doorway.
Rear wing, to right, has 2 square openings. Above, to left, a window.
Interior has transverse close studded wall with sill and span beams.Remains
of C16 herring bone brick fireback on south wall. North wall has window
opening with timber lintel. Rear wing has C19 ashlar fireplace. In east brick
wall the remains of 3 C17 plain stone mullioned windows with drip moulds
survive plus an early C18 doorway. Late C18 plank door. West wall has a re-set
corbel. This building incorporates the remains of the C13, first floor hall
house built for the de Wandeslie family. Owned by the Gratton family from 1320,
and by the mid C16 by the Middleton family. Passed by marriage to the Howitt
family in the early C17, and sold by them before 1660. The building was a
farmhouse in the C19 and was finally abandoned in 1960. Now a roofless ruin.
Consolidated 1987.

------------------------------------

SK 45 SE SELSTON WANSLEY HILL
(south side)
5/73 Remains of
Wansley Hall
GV II
Ruined remains of medieval manor house C13,C16,late C17 and early C18,C19.
Coursed and squared rubble, dressed stone and brick, with remains of internal
timber framing. Partial chamfered plinth, ashlar quoins and dressings. Remains
of square central stack and side wall stack, brick. 2 storeys, 3 unequal bays.
L-plan, former hall on east-west axis, with later projecting wing to south.
North front has 2 square openings, that to right blocked. Above, 2, 3 light
keeled mullioned windows. east side has remains of projecting gable to right.
To left, doorway and small casement. To their right, remains of mullioned
casement. To right again, broken opening and early C19 door with flat hood.
To right again, a casement on each floor. West side has projecting wing to
left, with square opening in plinth. To its right, basement level doorway.
Rear wing, to right, has 2 square openings. Above, to left, a window.
Interior has trandverse close studded wall with sill and span beams. Remains
of C16 herring bone brick fireback on south wall. North wall has window
opening with timber lintel. Rear wing has C19 ashlar fireplace. In east brick
wall the remains of 3 C17 plain stone mullioned windows with drip moulds
survive plus an early C18 doorway. Late C18 plank door. West wall has a re-set
corbel. This building incorporates the remains of the C13, first floor hall
house built for the de Wandeslie family. Owned by the Gratton family from 1320,
and by the mid C16 by the Middleton family. Passed by marriage to the Howitt
family in the early C17, and sold by them before 1660. The building was a
farmhouse in the C19 and was finally abandoned in 1960. Now a roofless ruin.
Consolidated 1987.


Listing NGR: SK4613951308

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.