This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7308 / 54°43'50"N
Longitude: -3.3722 / 3°22'19"W
OS Eastings: 311734
OS Northings: 538176
OS Grid: NY117381
Mapcode National: GBR 4FWQ.QX
Mapcode Global: WH6ZJ.5CG4
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 3 March 1967
Last Amended: 13 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1275717
English Heritage Legacy ID: 411485
Location: Gilcrux, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA7
Civil Parish: Gilcrux
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Gilcrux St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 13 NW GILCRUX GILCRUX
12/59 Church of St Mary
Parish church. Early C12 with late C12 additions, early C14 and C15
alterations. Restoration 1878. Squared blocks of mixed red and St Bees
sandstone, with angle buttresses. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables
and cross finials. 3-bay nave with 2-bay south aisle adjoining porch. West
open bellcote of 1724. 2-bay chancel with C19 north vestry. Nave has C13
blocked north door and 2-light windows of 1878. Blank buttressed west wall.
Aisle has original 2-light C13 windows and one single light restored in C19.
Chancel has blocked priest's doorway and one original lancet. C16 2-light south
and east windows. Carved head set in gable. Sundial over porch dated 1836 with
inscribed churchwardens' names. Interior has round-arched arcade on circular
piers, that to west suggesting the arcade was intended to continue for full
length of nave. Aumbry recess in south wall. Very narrow C12 round-headed
chancel arch with enlarged squint. Royal arms on north wall dated 1759. C12
cushion font. Medieval grave-slab and cross fragments. Chancel has original
splay for north window and aumbry recess. C20 stained-glass east window. Creed
and pater boards dated 1832 (one board missing). C20 furnishings and fittings.
Listing NGR: NY1173438176
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.