History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Upper Sapey, County of Herefordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2698 / 52°16'11"N

Longitude: -2.4663 / 2°27'58"W

OS Eastings: 368276

OS Northings: 263617

OS Grid: SO682636

Mapcode National: GBR BX.Z1K6

Mapcode Global: VH84V.66JT

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 9 June 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1275895

English Heritage Legacy ID: 410993

Location: Upper Sapey, County of Herefordshire, WR6

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Upper Sapey

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Greater Whitbourne

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Upper Sapey

Listing Text

1.
1962 UPPER SAPEY UPPER SAPEY
Church of
ST Michael
SO 66 SE 5/538 9.6.67.

B
2.
From mid to late C12. Comprises nave, chancel, west tower and south porch.
Mid to late C12 chancel and nave with C12 north and south doorways. Restored
1859-60 when chancel arch was rebuilt and south porch and west tower with
broached truncated pyramid roof and spire were added. C12 chancel arch
was re-erected as the tower arch. Pulpit with carving of C17 and C19 by
John Kitchen who worked from circa 1860. Four plain early C16 benches
made up with C19 work, two early C17 benches with panelled ends. Panelled
dado made up of early C17 material. C13 font. RCHM volume II, page 167,
plates 5, 12, 15, 67 and 70.


Listing NGR: SO6827663617

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

1.
1962 UPPER SAPEY UPPER SAPEY
Church of
ST Michael
SO 66 SE 5/538 9.6.67.

B
2.
From mid to late C12. Comprises nave, chancel, west tower and south porch.
Mid to late C12 chancel and nave with C12 north and south doorways. Restored
1859-60 when chancel arch was rebuilt and south porch and west tower with
broached truncated pyramid roof and spire were added. C12 chancel arch
was re-erected as the tower arch. Pulpit with carving of C17 and C19 by
John Kitchen who worked from circa 1860. Four plain early C16 benches
made up with C19 work, two early C17 benches with panelled ends. Panelled
dado made up of early C17 material. C13 font. RCHM volume II, page 167,
plates 5, 12, 15, 67 and 70.


Listing NGR: SO6827663617

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.