History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Bartholomew

A Grade II Listed Building in Huddersfield, Kirklees

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6013 / 53°36'4"N

Longitude: -1.9303 / 1°55'49"W

OS Eastings: 404707

OS Northings: 411634

OS Grid: SE047116

Mapcode National: GBR GVYS.WS

Mapcode Global: WHB91.BR12

Plus Code: 9C5WJ329+GV

Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew

Listing Date: 25 May 1966

Last Amended: 11 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1276629

English Heritage Legacy ID: 406822

Location: Kirklees, HD7

County: Kirklees

Electoral Ward/Division: Colne Valley

Built-Up Area: Marsden

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Marsden St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Marsden

Listing Text

SE 0470 1163 CHURCH LANE
Marsden
14/77

25.5.66 Church of St Bartholomew

- II

1895. Large Neo-perpendicular church by C Hodgson Fowler. Tower added 1911.
Hammer dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Pitched slate roof. 4-tier west
tower. 5-bay nave with clerestory and lean-to buttressed aisles. 3-bay chancel
with lean-to chapel on south side and vestry to north side. South and north
porches. Large 3-light traceried aisle windows with similar 2-light windows to
clerestory numbering 2 per bay. Large 5-light traceried east window. Large
traceried west window. West tower with 4 reducing tiers and reducing angle
buttresses. Clock face to 4 sides. Large louvred, traceried bell chamber
openings. Crenellated parapet with crocketted pinnacles. Interior: 5-bay
arcade to north and south on quatrefoil piers. Tall chancel arch on similar
responds. Chancel screen and road loft in well carved oak by J H Gibbons
FRIBA of Manchester and London, executed by Messrs Boulton & Co of Cheltenham,
dedicated in 1913. Carved oak reveals and painted panel by Hildred Harpin
AFICA. Octagonal font with canopy, 1895, restored 1968.


Listing NGR: SE0470711634

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.