This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6717 / 53°40'18"N
Longitude: -1.9131 / 1°54'47"W
OS Eastings: 405837
OS Northings: 419470
OS Grid: SE058194
Mapcode National: GBR HT2Z.MJ
Mapcode Global: WHB8N.LZ63
Plus Code: 9C5WM3CP+MQ
Entry Name: The Howroyde
Listing Date: 15 August 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1277316
English Heritage Legacy ID: 407265
Location: Ripponden, Calderdale, HX4
Civil Parish: Ripponden
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Barkisland Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SD 0519 RIPPONDEN (former U.D.) HOWROYD LANE, Barkisland
House dated 1642 for William Horton with refronted cross-wings with sash
windows, mid C18. Hammer dressed stone, ashlar dressings, stone slate roof.
Double pile. 2 storeys. Hall and cross-wings plan with through-passage. Wings
project and have quoins. West wing has single bay of sash windows east wing has
2 bays of sashed windows, all retaining their 16-paned glazing. Through-passage
has doorways to either end with Tudor arched lintel with moulded impost and
richly moulded jambs with broach stop with fluted columns with Ionic capitals to
front and Doric to the rear carrying full entablature. That to front is
"Except the Lord build this house
They Labour in vain that build"
The rear door has lintel inscribed "WR1642 EH" (for William & Elizabeth
Horton). The hall rises through 2 storeys and has ashlar parapet over large
double chamfered mullioned and transomed window with 2 king mullions of 18-
lights. Hood mould with decorated stops. 2-light windows at 1st floor level to
either end, one over door to porch chamber, the other to light gallery. Right
hand return wall has lateral extruded stack and 4 sashed windows to ground floor
formerly cross-windows retaining double chamfered surrounds. 2 sashed windows
to lst floor. 8 stacks. One backs on to through passage.
Interior: 2 doorways with shaped lintels lead into service end from through
passage. Hall has tall Tudor arched fireplace with Ionic columns surmounted by
plasterwork Royal Coat of Arms, Charles I dated 1642 with Griffin frieze.
Elaborate central plasterwork feature to ceiling. Stair rises to contemporary
gallery around 2 sides with turned balusters and carved frieze. The hall window
retains a number of stained glass panels some dated 1641, some illustrate the 5
senses. The parlour wing has 3 oak panelled rooms with carved friezes of
differing designs. The central room has raised and fielded panels of early C18
character. Another panelled room to 1st floor. Rear dining room has mid C18
stone fireplace with architrave, pulvinated frieze and dentil cornice. And
gentry house retaining high quality fittings with late feature of an open hall
in the mid C17, and as such one of the finest houses of Calderdale.
L. Ambler, The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire, (London, 1913) p.36,
80. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (London, 1967) p.90.
Listing NGR: SE0583719470
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings