This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.997 / 51°59'49"N
Longitude: -1.4079 / 1°24'28"W
OS Eastings: 440747
OS Northings: 233339
OS Grid: SP407333
Mapcode National: GBR 6S5.QWB
Mapcode Global: VHBZ4.K21F
Entry Name: Church of St Peter Ad Vincula
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1277633
English Heritage Legacy ID: 430889
Location: South Newington, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: South Newington
Built-Up Area: South Newington
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: South Newington
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SOUTH NEWINGTON THE TOWN
SP4033 (North side)
11/274 Church of St. Peter ad Virtcula
Parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C15. Restored 1595, 1755, 1822-3 and 1892-3.
Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Lead and Welsh slate roofs. Limestone
dressings. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, west tower, south porch. C12
chancel: North and south windows of 2 lights with quatrefoils in heads. 3-light
Perpendicular east window. Pointed arched doorway to south has moulded jambs,
hood mould and plank door. Nave: C12, four 2-light Perpendicular clerestory
windows to north and south. North aisle: C12, two- and 3-light Decorated windows
have reticulated tracery. East window transitional from Decorated to
Perpendicular. Pointed arched doorway to right has hood mould and label stops.
Plank door. South aisle: c.1290-1300. 2 lancets to west end: two- and 3-light
windows with Y-tracery, Perpendicular tracery and intersecting tracery. South
doorway: c.1300. South porch: C15, wide 4-centred arch with quatrefoils in
spandrels. Canopied niche above. Crenellated parapet and crocketed pinnacles.
West tower: Early C14. 3 stages. Pointed arched west doorway has hood mould with
label stops. Plank door. 2-light windows with Y-tracery. Crenellated parapet.
Interior: Chancel has Decorated piscina with ogee head. Nave: 4-bay arcades to
north and south. Wider pointed small arched bay to east c.1300. North arcade has
2 plain round Romanesque arches and circular piers with scalloped capitals.
Pointed arch to west. South arcade has pointed arches. The 2 west arches have 2
orders of hollow chamfers and a round pier with a moulded capital. The 2
rectangular piers to the east have capitals with nail head decoration. C12 round
font has a band of zig-zag decoration. Box pews. C14 glass fragments in chancel
windows. C17 achievement of arms in window of south aisle to the Hall family.
Wall paintings: noted as the finest group of medieval wall paintings in the
County. C14 fragments over chancel arch. North aisle paintings c.1330 (Professor
Tristram) in Courtly style, oil on plaster: St. Margaret and the Dragon; St
James with kneeling doner; the Martyrdom of St. Thomas-a-Becket; the murder of
Thomas of Lancaster. Nave arcades: Late C15 paintings of the Passion series, in
primitive archaic style. Monuments: South aisled to Gamvel Hall interred 1639;
wall plaque to John Lane, d.1671.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol XI, p,137, Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974,
Listing NGR: SP4074733338
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings