History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Rectory, Now Parish Hall, Flats and Private House

A Grade II Listed Building in Stanhope, County Durham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7465 / 54°44'47"N

Longitude: -2.0055 / 2°0'19"W

OS Eastings: 399745

OS Northings: 539058

OS Grid: NY997390

Mapcode National: GBR GFFK.M9

Mapcode Global: WHB3D.5Y8N

Entry Name: Former Rectory, Now Parish Hall, Flats and Private House

Listing Date: 31 January 1967

Last Amended: 5 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1278083

English Heritage Legacy ID: 406637

Location: Stanhope, County Durham, DL13

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Stanhope

Built-Up Area: Stanhope

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Stanhope and Rookhope

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Stanhope

Listing Text

STANHOPE FRONT STREET
NY 9939
(South side)
stanhope
34/205 Former Rectory, now
parish hall, flats and
31.1.67 private house (formerly
listed as Old Rectory)
GV
II

Rectory, now parish hall with flats above; right wing a private house. Dated
1821 rebuilding of 1697 rectory, the first for Dr. William Hartwell and the
second supposedly for Dr. Henry Hardinge according to inscriptions over door,
'W.H.D.D.R.S....1697' and in door surround 'H.H.D.D.R.S. 1821'; but Hardinge
said to have died 1820. By I. Bonomi. Painted rough render with ashlar plinth,
chamfered quoins and dressings. Roof of graduated Lakeland slate.

Access to flats through outbuilding projecting at left and through passage in
former service wing, now known as Bishop Butler's House (q.v.): thin courses
of sandstone with stone-flagged roof.

Main building 2 storeys, 7 bays, the outer pairs projecting. Central 6-panel
double door in inscribed plain stone surround.2 stone. coats-of-arms above,
with raised inscribed panel above these under drip mould; sashes with fine
glazing bars in plain stone surrounds; gutter cornice. Low-pitched hipped roof,
with hips over 2-bay projections, has corniced ridge chimneys. Right return
has quoined central projecting bay with 6-panel door and overlight in plain
surround; paired sashes on sill string. Garden front has central canted bay
with 3 sashes under cornice and blocking course. Interior: house in right
wing has open-well dog-leg stair, re-arranged in lower part with original wreath
and curtail; elaborate fret-work panel in low cupboard door to space beneath
stair; dado rail throughout hall and staircase. Former study has inlaid marble
chimney-piece in Adam style with much delicate detail; former library has
palmette-decorated marble chimney-piece and some original bookcases. One first-
floor room has Frosterley 'marble' chimney-piece. Stucco ceiling decoration of
central roses in acanthus patterns, and moulded cornices. Parish Hall has
similar stucco ceiling decoration; flats above not inspected.


Listing NGR: NY9974539058

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.